Stern Adornments

Hello Boys
Could someone please suggest what type of finish to put on these wooden adornments?
The details are very good and obviously, the paint will cover up the intricate lines, etc.
I’m tired of pondering the possibilities and now turn to the experts.
403922-09f5474b494d264dff1261bafe6faed3.jpg

Thanks
John

Hi, John. With the skills you have, you can try to convert this transom decor from flat laser-cut to nice 2D or even 3D adornment. By rounding the outside edges using rotary tools or small needle files, you already convert it into 2D. After that, you should see the transom already stands proud, you can finish with oil. If you want to go further, you can try rounding inside lines (make it a bit deeper). What do you think?

Hi, John. With the skills you have, you can try to convert this transom decor from flat laser-cut to nice 2D or even 3D adornment. By rounding the outside edges using rotary tools or small needle files, you already convert it into 2D. After that, you should see the transom already stands proud, you can finish with oil. If you want to go further, you can try rounding inside lines (make it a bit deeper). What do you think?
I’m not too sure about the skills I have but your idea sounds very interesting. Never even thought about doing that. I was concerned about obliterating the details but your suggestion wouldn’t involve that.
Thanks so much ! Excellent idea.

Sand the sharp edges round where and how they would enhance the carving to make it appear to be carved in three dimensions like Jimsky said, but only in areas that won't remove the laser etching details. If you round over the areas where laser lines used to be, you can scratch them back into the wood using the edge of a tiny jeweler's file, then stain the lines dark with dark stain or dark brown paint using a #0 brush. Next, buff the wood with very fine 2000 grit sandpaper, not taking material off, but polishing the surface only. This detail work will be meticulous and time consuming but worth it, because after that, you can apply Danish Oil (probably light walnut in color) which will bring out the wood grain, and the wood will appear semi-gloss in shininess, with a natural appearance. I would use light walnut instead of dark walnut or black walnut on this wood so the laser etched details won't be drowned out from lack of color contrast. The more you prepare the wood by edge shaping and polishing, the better the final result. It's ALL about the preparation!

Last edited:
Brother John:
While it's not easy to tell from your photo, it appears that there are significant flat areas. If so, that would be inconsistent with period woodcarving. As Jim suggests, rounding off edges would help the appearance. In regard to finish, such ornate decorations would have been painted or even gilded. As examples, photos of the replica of Golden Hind (1577) and the restoration of HMS Victory (1765) are attached. What vessel are you modeling and when did she sail?
Fair winds!

golden hind.jpegHMSVictory.jpeg

Sand the sharp edges round where and how they would enhance the carving to make it appear to be carved in three dimensions like Jimsky said, but only in areas that won't remove the laser etching details. If you round over the areas where laser lines used to be, you can scratch them back into the wood using the edge of a tiny jeweler's file, then stain the lines dark with dark stain or dark brown paint using a #0 brush. Next, buff the wood with very fine 2000 grit sandpaper, not taking material off, but polishing the surface only. This detail work will be meticulous and time consuming but worth it, because after that, you can apply Danish Oil (probably light walnut in color) which will bring out the wood grain, and the wood will appear semi-gloss in shininess, with a natural appearance. I would use light walnut instead of dark walnut or black walnut on this wood so the laser etched details won't be drowned out from lack of color contrast. The more you prepare the wood by edge shaping and polishing, the better the final result. It's ALL about the preparation!
Thank you very much for your input and knowledge. It’s great to put a question out there and get great information back.

Brother John:
While it's not easy to tell from your photo, it appears that there are significant flat areas. If so, that would be inconsistent with period woodcarving. As Jim suggests, rounding off edges would help the appearance. In regard to finish, such ornate decorations would have been painted or even gilded. As examples, photos of the replica of Golden Hind (1577) and the restoration of HMS Victory (1765) are attached. What vessel are you modeling and when did she sail?
Fair winds!

View attachment 420079View attachment 420080
It’s the Oliver Cromwell and I believe 1776 would be the time she was put into action.
Thank you for your input. I think the stern will look rather good after I put in some work.

Hello Boys
Could someone please suggest what type of finish to put on these wooden adornments?
The details are very good and obviously, the paint will cover up the intricate lines, etc.
I’m tired of pondering the possibilities and now turn to the experts.
View attachment 420061

Thanks
John
Hallo @whiskers
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back