Stagecoach Build - By Artesanía Latina

I needed a break from ship models so decide to try the Artesanía Latina Stagecoach. There are several different makers but chose this one for the larger scale and the detail possible with a bigger model. The box contents all looked good and there are several other builds out there to follow although this one seems to be a newer kit because there are several difference in the assembly. The only thing I was disappointed in were the instructions which are on a CD in a PDF file. The photos are OK but the written directions are crunched up in several languages and hard to read they are so small. I had to cut the photos and the english instructions out and copy to a Word file then print. This worked well but time consuming.

Stagecoach 01.jpg

Stagecoach 02.jpg
Even comes with lighted carriage lamps.
Stagecoach 03.jpg
The confusing multi-lingual instructions.
Stagecoach 04.jpg
After converting them to an easier format.
Stagecoach 05.jpg
It didn't show up to well but I made a jig for wheel assembly. First I drew up the lines for the spokes, then drilled a 3/4" hole in the center just deep enough for the holes in the hub to align with the jig. Then I drilled another smaller hole through the center the size of the axle and placed a dowel in the hole.
Stagecoach 06.jpg
Next I covered the jig with plastic so the glue wouldn't stick to the jig.
Stagecoach 07.jpg
After the glue was dried on the wheel rim I drilled a set of holes for nails in the rim. After I assemble parts and before I glue them, I sand, paint, and sand again using the final color and after glue up it's ready for air brushing.
Stagecoach 08.jpg

I'll watch this one as I also just bought this kit.
Good luck with your build
Cheers snowy

Interesting start of this building log - maybe once I will give such an interesting kit also a try

I'll watch this one as I also just bought this kit.
Good luck with your build
Cheers snowy
Hey Snowy: Well I've made a huge mistake on the first page of the instructions and it's not something I can recover from. When I made my jig for the wheels I miscalculated the layout and the wheel spokes are not equally distant from each other. I didn't notice it until the big wheels were complete. The difference really showed up when I started the small wheels. I corrected those and while no one will probably ever notice it, it will drive me crazy every time I look at it. Hopefully this will help your build as well as the other errors that will surly follow.

Ciao Charlie

Hi mate
Yes I to didn't notice until you brought it up I looked back and yes .good luck with your build
Cheers snowy

The next step is putting on the wheel treads. The instructions call for cutting a piece of 1x5 to 740mm for the large wheels. Unfortunately the supplied strip is only 700mm. Will have to do some patching. The strip was just the right length for the small wheels. They say to glue on the tread then paint it black. I did the painting first then the glue step. Gave me better definition between the yellow and black, not to mention my hand isn't that steady.

Stagecoach 10.jpg

Back