Square ? Footage

Hello boys
I am used to figuring out square footage when working on wood projects to buy the right amount of board feet. However I am at a loss trying to figure out how many strips of wood I will need to do the deck of an upcoming project. Is there a way to figure this out so I don’t overbuy or underbuy?
Thanks

For a given deck area, I just use the width and length, then calculate accordingly. As you're Canadian (Canadien) and thus familiar with the metric system, it is simplified.

Say you want to cover a deck that is 150mm wide by 300mm long with 5mm wide strips/planks:

Area of deck is 150x300 = 45,000mm2.
Divide that by the plank width of 5mm to obtain total length of 5mm strips required:

Length = 45,000/5 = 9,000mm.

So you would need 9 meters of 5mm wide strips.

I usually figure full length strips even for the sides where they become triangular areas.

You should be able to calculate any size decking and strips required in a similar manner.

For a given deck area, I just use the width and length, then calculate accordingly. As you're Canadian (Canadien) and thus familiar with the metric system, it is simplified.

Say you want to cover a deck that is 150mm wide by 300mm long with 5mm wide strips/planks:

Area of deck is 150x300 = 45,000mm2.
Divide that by the plank width of 5mm to obtain total length of 5mm strips required:

Length = 45,000/5 = 9,000mm.

So you would need 9 meters of 5mm wide strips.

I usually figure full length strips even for the sides where they become triangular areas.

You should be able to calculate any size decking and strips required in a similar manner.
Thanks so much for the advice. You’ve made it seem quite easy now.

John

Back