South Carolina circa 1778

This was the first warship named "South Carolina" It was built in 1777 by Jaques Boux (pronounced Book). Built specifically for the colonials by the French. It was purchased by South Carolina through Commodor Alexander Gillon a Charleston businessman. The scale is 1:64 or 3/16" = 1' . The drawing came from "The American Sailing Navy" I. A. Chapelle 1949 (plate 4). His drawing is a reproduction from "Souviners De Marine" 1898 Edmund Paris. I completed this model in 2015. It is in display at the Callawassie Island Club 2015.

IMG_0098.JPGIMG_0099.JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0102.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My heavens, what a stellar model! I am glad it has (I hope) a permanent berth where people will see and appreciate it.

Pete

My heavens, what a stellar model! I am glad it has (I hope) a permanent berth where people will see and appreciate it.

Pete
Peter, Thanks for the acolade. IMO many people that view it in person express their view of the model in it's physical state but miss it's historical value. It's a very overlooked ship. BTW I think there are one other maybe two in the US for people to view. The model now sits in a private club. Bill

I love that you built this. I was stationed at the Naval Hospital in Beaufort SC from '93 to' 96, not far from Callawassie. Next time I am in the low country I will need to go visit your model.

Back