Solid Hulls

Many years ago when I built a few model ships I followed the method of the contemporary "Hobbies" kits: I carved two half hulls and stuck them on either side of a keel. In an idle moment I recently fell to wondering why we faff about with double plank on bulkhead models. The first layer planking - often 1.5 or 2mm thick is very unwilling to bend around some bluff bow models. We end up soaking/ heating,/shaping/sanding just to achieve something that is going to be covered up anyway.
In principle I could take the laser cut plywood sheets from a kit, throw the bulkheads away and shape two half hulls that would fit though the residual holes at the appropriate distances along the keel. On a minor scale I suppose I am doing this anyway when I insert bow blocks rather than attempting tight bends at the bow. Blocks of lime/bass wood are easy to work but much firmer than, say, balsa. Single blocks or slices (say 10mm thick and approximately shaped to 'deck' profiles could be used.
The solid hulls could have the second stage planking applied as usual or one could cheat and simply scribe planks on the solid hull. Clearly this is not an appropriate approach for all models and tastes; a solid dory would look pretty silly! Looking at my current build of the Royal Caroline there is nothing that would preclude this approach below main deck level. For illustration I append a picture of a "great Harry" that I started many years ago and never finished. The hull is shaped from solid oak.
Great Harry.jpg

I have seen many experienced builders on this forum show where they filled the voids between bulkheads on POB kits before planking.

Back