soleil royale advice

hi guys and gals,

sadly i have not posted for some time due to illness but now i am back and , hopefully, raring to go.

however i need some advice from all of your vast knowledge!!

I am about to place my order with ZHL to purchase their soleil royal model and, as it is not a case of "money is no object", I am wondering if it is worth purchasing the pear wood carvings for the model or if what comes standard with this kit is acceptable.

The additional carvings will more than double the price of the kit and , having previously only built caldercraft kits, Victory and Aggamemnon, i am a bit in the dark as to what to do.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

I am in the process of building this kit! First, I do not think ZHL offers any additional carvings on their 40" kit, the Carvings that are supplied with the kit are metal!! In my opinion is it's a good buy for the money!! it does have a few design issues, and the instruction are not very detailed, but they can be overcome there are members who have completely built and with me in the process of building this kit and their build info is very precise and helpful

sorry everyone, that was my mistake it was another kit i was also considering that has the pear wood carvings which is the San Felipe.

the same question still applies though, are the carvings worth the additional expense.

thanks to Bandido for correcting me on the soleil royal issues. but yes this is a zhl 40 inch model

Hi I think it all comes down to the way you want to present your model. If you want to paint the carvings gold or in multi colour it is best to use the standard kit provided carvings in resin or metal.
If you want to use cnc pearwood carvings which are certainly not cheap, I would just treat them with wax and a wash of bitumen.

I fully agree here with Maarten,

the original "carvings" are resin elements and have to be painted - without any treatment it would distroy in my opinion the overall appearance of this big model
Screenshot 2022-09-14 085046.png Screenshot 2022-09-14 085100.png

The pear decoration set is looking extremely good and will upgrade the model very much

Screenshot 2022-09-14 085251.png Screenshot 2022-09-14 085229.png

Screenshot 2022-09-14 085318.png

BTW: we have several building logs and content reviews of this kit here in our forum, maybe you want to have a look:

Remark:
If you add the pear carvings with the original kit price - you have in total a sum, which is not more than the HMS Victory kit from Caldercraft - and it seems, that the decoration set is much much better than the Victory or Agamemnon -> so in my opinion, knowing that you have experience with high price level kits, I would go for the pear deco set -> and I hope to see a building log of your project - and maybe you show us also once the Caldercraft models - would be great

Those carvings are wonderful and will upgrade the kit for sure, I guess the only thing I would investigate is the quality of the kit you are going to invest $700 in carvings on! that's all :)

Back