soldering iron

A LITTLE HEL IF ANYONE CAN JUST GOT A NEW MAN TOY A SOLDERING IRON/ PLANK BENDER DIFFERENT TIPS BUT IT HAS ADJUSTABLE TEMP CONTROL FROM 400-900 DEGREES DOING SOME GLUING OF PLANKS LIKE THE VRUSSIANS DO ALSO FROM HEINRICH ON THEB FALCONET LEUDO BUILD USING HAT TO GET AN INSTANT BOND SO QUESTIONN IS WHAT TEMP SHOULD I SET IT AT AS TO NOT SCORTCH THE WOOD(BASSWOOD), ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Don, I have used an old aeropiccola plank bender like this one :
I think it gets to about 5-600 degrees and I dip the plank in a cup of water and the use pressure and the steam it creates from contact to bend the plank. It takes quite a bit of time to burn the wood at that temp although at 900 it would probably be burning quick. I haven’t used it as much lately as I have been using a mini travel steam iron and edge bend the plank first, to allow it to remain level around a bluff bow, then I form the curve around the circumference of the bow.

I think also, that there is no fixed rule on which temperature you get the best and easiest results.
It will depend also on the thickness and kind of wood, the content of water (how long was it in the water) etc.
you have to test by yourself how it works best for you ......

i bend wet planks around by wood burning stove pipe and it gets very hot. As soon as the wet plank touches the pipe it is instant steam it take a just a minute.
A general rule is you want "steam" so if you touch a wet plank to the bender and it does not steam turn it up a notch until you see steam.

if you want to experiment using a controlled heat source to bend wood. I would suggest that you go to a thrift store like goodwill and purchase a hair curling iron that has a temperature control. Cost will be under $5 and it may be just what you need. I have the typical plank bender, which is a $5 soldering iron with a aluminum disk the replaces the tip. for my electronics bench I have a controlled temperature soldering/de-soldering station which sells for around $350. It is of course not suitable for plank bending and I am not that happy with the plank bender I do find that the hair curling iron often does a good job of bending planks.

Jim

Back