SMS Nassau ,German dreadnought 1/200

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi guys,

Just received my new project in the mail a few days ago. Its a new release kit from China of the SMS Nassau, a WW1 dreadnought battleship .
Its a 3d printed resin model with heaps of photoetch , brass cannon barrels and wooden deck. Heres a few photos of the kit contents.

s-l1600.jpegIMG_6846.jpgIMG_6845.jpgIMG_6844.jpg

Just found the model online, and you can buy it from here

1713494447505.png

Great looking kit. I just checked out their site and they have some very nice looking kits. I will be looking forward to your build.

Bill

Very cool. Some "brass black" required, I'm thinckin. A change from the usual wood, spars, and rigging mayhem.

Hi guys,

Just received my new project in the mail a few days ago. Its a new release kit from China of the SMS Nassau, a WW1 dreadnought battleship .
Its a 3d printed resin model with heaps of photoetch , brass cannon barrels and wooden deck. Heres a few photos of the kit contents.

View attachment 442600View attachment 442601View attachment 442602View attachment 442603
Hi Brian,
Great to see you doing one of these what I would call a "multi media" kits, I will follow with interest.
There is a good range of subjects in this format.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Hello friends,
I have commenced the build. A few comments about the kit.

All the instructions are in Chinese, apart from some assembly diagrams, you are on your own trying to figure things out. There are no full scale profile drawings showing the colour scheme or where the waterline should be. It's also a simplified build with many details not included in the kit. For example there's no boat davits, no photo-etch for superstructure steel beams and details, and generally a lot has been omitted from the kit.
No photo-etch hand-railings are included on the superstructure. In its place are solid resin hand-railings which I will replace.

The hull is molded and in 2 pieces needing joining together through the mid section port to starboard ( if you follow what i'm saying ), but not an issue. I have to say, that its not up to the same quality of a plastic kit of this scale. There's numerous nicks and marks on the hull that need filling and sanding. There is also no hull detailing like plating lines or rivet details.

On the positive side, the photo-etch thats included is quite good, easily comparable to any other kit of this scale. In addition the wooden deck is excellent.

I have assembled the hull and brushed on a base coat of red oxide primer. I also assembled the turrets.

cheers guys.

IMG_6848.jpgIMG_6849.jpg

Hi Brian,
Great update.
I would think it is a real pity there is no full size drawing, although I imagine that drawings are available somewhere.
Do you think the value for money is pretty good.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Back