Shrouds & Ratlines

Over the past three years I have built eight scale model ships. I am seeking some experienced advise because I can’t see any reason to not do this. Most plans have the builder install the shrouds and Rat line early in the build. This makes it difficult to tie lines to belaying pins. I am thinking of doing the shrouds last. Dumb decision?

Welcome aboard.
And to your question, yes.
Because the shrouds are the most important for the look of your rigging of the model. When yards and ropes are in the way, it is almost impossible to do the ratlines in a straight line with equal distance. Just make a good plan on the running rigging to work from the inside to the outside.

Thank you for your input. I can see your point and will heed the advise.

Stephan advise is good, but many also advise to do all assembly of mast and yards while mast is off the ship.

This makes it easier to get more complicated delicate work done when you can twist, turn, flip or flop the mast and yards around before attaching to ship and starting the shrouds and ratlines.

Also one point, is the shrouds and ratlines are designed to keep the mast aligned properly, and tying off other lines to the deck would make the mast lean one way or the other if not paying attention.

Of course there are those who sell all the fine long reach tools for helping with the rigging.

Also welcome to the forum, please show us your work you have completed.

If currently building please start a build log so we can follow along and if needed the fine folks here are full of advise and answers to questions.

also from my side a warm welcome on board of our forum

Back