Shipyard dock 1/96 help needed

Hello dear friends

Looking for ideas on how to build a shipyard dock for my Salamandre 1/96.

My intention is to build it in the construction yard, and to present it during the construction phase.

I have seen the plate from Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, but i do not grasp the concept.

Any help is sppreciated.

Lucian

My only suggestion is to check photos in archives to see what it may look like.

I know it will vary depending on what phase of construction you are wanting to show.

Most ships were constructed in two phases, first being hull construction with main deck beams needed to support the hull, then they were launched into the water and pulled to nearby dock for finishing and fitting of masts, guns and other equipment.

First of all, you have to decide, if your model located in a shipyard should be technically correct, or you want to present a model under construction in a nice interesting way, in a shipyard surrounding?

Technically correct would be (like Kurt already mentioned):
No guns
No masts
Maybe no or reduced deck houses and fittings
No mortars (especially because it is the Salamandre)

Thank you so much guys for kind reply. I have an ideea on the external appearance of the ship. something like attached pic. my question is the dock itself, the part that supports the keel. because i've seen 2 types: a floodable dock, i think like the pic attached, and a sliding slipway. Do you have some sketches for them? I have bought some Shipyard kits for buildings, cranes, warehouses, etc.
Cheers

FB_IMG_1686412243431.jpg

The above model is showing the HMS Victory under construction on a slipway

f5834_001.jpg

You can see on this sideview, that the keel is inclined

a nice presentation is f.e. also here on this Euryalus , which is very similar to the Victory, but horizontal

In a closed shipyard which can be flooded, called dry dock, you will see not much of your hull structure

Imagine here in this dock model included a ship under construction.....

l2401_001.jpg

l2401_003.jpg

slightly more modern, but the principles are the same

l3520_001.jpg

This is maybe a medium of both

f5813_001.jpg

f5813_002.jpg

Wow! You've got one daunting project ahead. I look forward to following your progress and anticipate an impressive, rewarding result. Best of success in your project!

PG

Back