Ship's Stove

Building the 1:50 scale Golden Hind model by Billing Boats. I am adding a few details but am not certain of where the ship's stove was located. Any ideas or direction you can point me to? I'm thinking it was located forward, maybe Jon the main deck just under the forecastle? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Building the 1:50 scale Golden Hind model by Billing Boats. I am adding a few details but am not certain of where the ship's stove was located. Any ideas or direction you can point me to? I'm thinking it was located forward, maybe Jon the main deck just under the forecastle? Any and all help greatly appreciated.
ChatGPT said: "In a Spanish galleon, the stove, also known as the galley or cocina, was typically located towards the aft (rear) of the ship. It was situated below the main deck, in the area known as the galleon's waist or the waist of the ship. This positioning allowed for better ventilation and reduced the risk of fire spreading to other areas of the ship. The galley area was usually separated from the rest of the ship to prevent accidents and fires.

In an English galleon, the stove, also referred to as the galley, was typically located in the forward part of the ship. Unlike Spanish galleons, English galleons placed the galley towards the bow or front of the ship. This positioning allowed for better stability and reduced the risk of fire spreading to other sections of the vessel. The galley area was often separated from the rest of the ship to minimize the potential for accidents and fires."

Peter Kirsh's book "Galleon" shows the galley stove on the false orlop deck in the waist of the ship. It says the false orlop was the lowest deck and was actually a short, often unplanked row of deck beams amidships below the waterline.

I have a Bordie stove kit that will fit nicely on the added lover deck of my Golden Hind. BUT...that style stove didn't come out until the late 16 or early 1700s. Before that time period the ship'd stoves were brick. Does anyone know of plans for a brick ship's stove?

Last edited:
I have a Gilley (?) stove kit that will fit nicely on the added lover deck of my Golden Hind. BUT...that style stove didn't come out until the late 16 or early 1700s. Before that time period the ship'd stoves were brick. Does anyone know of plans for a brick ship's stove?
I do not know, if this stove would fit from the time period, but take a look at the brick stove from @CAFmodel - off course also check the size / scale

Screenshot 2023-08-11 091948.png

We have also a special topic showing different types of stoves and galleys - also some contemporary drawings

I hope these information are also helping

This might help. The Mary Rose museum also has a paper model of its oven for kids to download and build.

Back