Ship modeling magazines

Greetings, I am new to ship modeling and I am wondering if there are any dedicated ship modeling magazines available in English or French? I know of Model Boats magazine but wondering if there are others, that are specific to wooden sailing ships. Or back issues available? Thanks.

you can get Ships in scale and model ship builder on CDs

Hi Dave, wow those are great resources, thank you. Do the current issues of Nautical Research Journal include the plans for articles featuring scratch built models, like the Viking ship in the Spring 2022 issue? I will definitely place an order for these.

i have nothing to do with the NRG i just happen to know they have the NRG journal, Ships in Scale and Model ship builder on CDs
at one time you could order copies of just single articles i do not know if they still do that

i suggest contacting the NRG and ask them

I like the old magazine "Model Shipwright" which was launched in 1972 by Conway Maritime Press very much, which was stopped several years ago.
In the meantime I have all of them.......

as an example a photo from an ebay seller

s-l1600.png

I'm getting close to having a complete collection of "Model Shipwright".

For its time it was a marvelous publication; the internet was years away, but many of its features are still relevant.

But it also makes you aware of how technology facilitates the bewildering access most of us now have, to information of all kinds in high definition colour.

Even 'Star Trek' is old hat now.

It appears these back issues are quite pricey. Hopefully I will be able to find some issues at a reasonable price.

I started my collection, buying a heap at a car boot (yard sale?).
Many more came via ebay, often at low prices....it's the postage which is the killer.

Stefano, you might consider updating your profile to list your location in Canada.

We have many members up north and one me be near you that you can meet or great and get help from to build your skills.

If you left click on your profile name, it opens up a dropdown and look for account details, click on that and it opens a set of optional fields, and one is location, you can put just what you want others to know, or give your city and province if you wish.

Is there a complete list available somewhere for issue list for Model Shipwright with contents for each issue?

51yVnvJQz0L._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

More than just a list of articles, the Model Shipwright Index for the first 100 issues of this well regarded journal aimed at builders of model ships includes several lists to aid in the finding of information. Articles are indexed by title, author, photographs of ship models by ship name, photographs of real ships by name, and plans by ship name or type. Regular features including letters to the editor, hints & tips, query and answer, collectors corner, work bench, and book reviews are also indexed.

Here is a site that has "Ships in Scale" in a downloadable pdf. format, from 1990 to 1999. The site looks to be Russian, I downloaded them years ago and have had no problem and also scanned them with my Norton Security program. The site is in Russian language and I use Google translate to read it in English, however, the magazines are in English. The whole site is interesting.
I have found on the "web" other various model ship magazines but I'm not sure where I got them without doing more research.
My best luck in finding things on the web is searching for images in Google.
This next site is also good for periodicals, but can be tricky to search with. Here is the url that I saved from a search I did long ago.

Here is a site that has "Ships in Scale" in a downloadable pdf. format, from 1990 to 1999. The site looks to be Russian, I downloaded them years ago and have had no problem and also scanned them with my Norton Security program. The site is in Russian language and I use Google translate to read it in English, however, the magazines are in English. The whole site is interesting.
I have found on the "web" other various model ship magazines but I'm not sure where I got them without doing more research.
My best luck in finding things on the web is searching for images in Google.
This next site is also good for periodicals, but can be tricky to search with. Here is the url that I saved from a search I did long ago.
Ah, that Russian site pirates copyrighted material illegally. Use only if you don't care you're stealing from publishers and authors.

Greetings, I am new to ship modeling and I am wondering if there are any dedicated ship modeling magazines available in English or French? I know of Model Boats magazine but wondering if there are others, that are specific to wooden sailing ships. Or back issues available? Thanks.
Hi Stefano:
Go to www.thenrg.org and join to receive their excellent quarterly publication titled "The Journal". And your membership will also give you access to back issues of "Ships In Scale". Then explore the Model Ship Builder publication, which can be found at: www.shipsofscale.com. Also do a Google search for Ship Modeling Forums, which provide a wealth of ship modeling information and resources. Good luck and welcome to this fascinating hobby!

Workboats, Aiken, SC

Back