Sheave substitute

I have made this railing and there is supposed to be sheaves at the bottom of each stanchion where the red arrow(second stanchion from the left) is pointing. I lack the skills needed to install them so I'm wondering about an alternative. Is just drilling a hole my best option?

DSC04623.JPG

I have made this railing and there is supposed to be sheaves at the bottom of each stanchion where the red arrow(second stanchion from the left) is pointing. I lack the skills needed to install them so I'm wondering about an alternative. Is just drilling a hole my best option?

View attachment 327772
see mail

Hi Frank, if it is not a secret, why sent the email and not share your techniques with everyone in the post? We are all curious!

Grazie, :)
Hello Jimsky, it's no secret but there will be a reason for my email

I drill two holes and then carve a shallow groove between the holes. Gives a decent simulation of sheaves installed in the stanchion base. A dab of black paint in the groove enhances the realism but I find it not really necessary…in fact draws the eye unnecessarily to the stanchion base. Let the imagery remain subtle.

Hi Don
In the attachment i made a simple option how to make the sheaves under the stanchion railing. An alternative instead of drilling holes .

5C250DFC-1689-4006-8ABE-664BFA7848A4.jpeg

Back