Second attempt at the Halcon

Like many others, you may think that retirement will bring lots of spare time. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I carried on past normal retirement age, finally quitting just two months before my 70th birthday, that was back in December 2019. My only reason for quitting then, was to look after my wife who was suffering with a prolapsed disc.
Life in retirement is manic. I wonder how I ever found the time to go to work.
Talking of work, back in the shipyard I have the shrouds on the main mast and I have just finished making the lanyards and vertical ropes for the upper mast shrouds. They are so tiny, I'm really struggling with them.View attachment 369052
My turn will come with those.... I agree with you, they are a challenge ! That one looks great !

Finally, just over a year after I started with the original cheap Halcon, it's finished.
Having ditched the rubbish kit and bought a better one, I then went overboard for my skillset by adding all the rigging blocks and following rigging guidance from several Internet sources.
This one is my "apprenticeship" into model ship building. There have been mistakes, reworks, breakages and lots of frustration along the way.
It doesn't look brilliant, it just shows up my ham fisted shaky hands. Such fun working with 2mm x 2mm single blocks and tying knots with tweezers.
Still, it's been fun, even though I got so mad that I had to walk away at times.
Anyway, here's looking forward to starting work next week, on my Mantua Models 1:96 scale version of HMS Victory.

20230603_221243.jpg

Finally, just over a year after I started with the original cheap Halcon, it's finished.
Having ditched the rubbish kit and bought a better one, I then went overboard for my skillset by adding all the rigging blocks and following rigging guidance from several Internet sources.
This one is my "apprenticeship" into model ship building. There have been mistakes, reworks, breakages and lots of frustration along the way.
It doesn't look brilliant, it just shows up my ham fisted shaky hands. Such fun working with 2mm x 2mm single blocks and tying knots with tweezers.
Still, it's been fun, even though I got so mad that I had to walk away at times.
Anyway, here's looking forward to starting work next week, on my Mantua Models 1:96 scale version of HMS Victory.

View attachment 377694
Great job !

Thanks Corsair. This has been quite a learning experience, specifically, learning how not to do something, like too much glue. I made such a mess of it. Just don't look too closely.

I would be frustrated a d chomping at the bit if I was unable to get on with my project. Having said that though, I've been busy this week helping future son-in-law take down a badly overgrown hedge at his new home, so the Victory is being delayed.

I would be frustrated a d chomping at the bit if I was unable to get on with my project. Having said that though, I've been busy this week helping future son-in-law take down a badly overgrown hedge at his new home, so the Victory is being delayed.
I don’t feel like the Lone Ranger now.

Back