Second attempt at the Halcon

I had started out with the cheap 1/100 scale Halcon kit, but there were so many faults with the kit that I binned it and bought the more expensive one from Nidale Models.
So far I have the hull built and painted, although I used actual woodstain on the deck.
I'm currently in the process of making the arms for the capstan. My small drill serves well as a mini lathe for this job.

20230213_132537.jpg

20230213_132511.jpg

20230211_195956.jpg

20230210_223421.jpg

20230210_223413.jpg

20230210_223404.jpg

20230211_195956.jpg

20230210_223421.jpg

20230210_223413.jpg

20230210_223404.jpg

I had started out with the cheap 1/100 scale Halcon kit, but there were so many faults with the kit that I binned it and bought the more expensive one from Nidale Models.
So far I have the hull built and painted, although I used actual woodstain on the deck.
I'm currently in the process of making the arms for the capstan. My small drill serves well as a mini lathe for this job.
Hallo @Ajmitch51
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
You are on a very good way with your Halcon - very good work
I guess it was only for the future to show the progress, please keep in mind, that the topmast is installed fore and not aft
20230215_210555.jpg

And so... the nightmare begins...
Running bowline knots on this scale are not easy with my old hands.

20230219_165452.jpg

My kit of rigging blocks arrived this morning, so I can get things moving again. How my fingers are going to cope with these remains to be seen.
Two rope ladders completed now.
Work on the lifeboat continues. Due to the scale size of the planking, I have planked the lifeboat with tiny strips of paper.
The planking has been a learning experience, so when I get round to building my HMS Victory, the planking will be done as in real life, with scale planks that I will try and match to what I see on the real thing down in Portsmouth.

20230227_120246.jpg

20230227_120118.jpg

I'm trying to make my model as accurate as possible, within the constraints of it's scale, but there are loads of questions to be answered. I have no prior knowledge of nautical terms or names of ship parts, but I am learning as I go along. What I need to know at the moment, is about the gaffs. Are they in a fixed position on the fore and main mast, or they lifted up and down the two masts?
Since previous posts, I have ordered custom blocks, deadeyes, belaying pins etc. I have also replaced the anchor chain with rope, as I was told that chain was not used in this particular era.
I had previously constructed the foremast lower shrouds using the supplied thread, but having reviewed the scale thread/rope sizes as listed in the spreadsheet created by Radimir Beseda (Rigging - size of rope and blocks - Final), it shows the foremast lower shroud vertical ropes/threads to be 0.76mm not the thin stuff supplied with the kit, so when my new deadeyes, collets and chain plates arrive, I will be starting again.

20230320_124145.jpg

Small progress, but at least it's moving in the right direction now. I binned the shrouds that I built standalone and am slowly building the forecast lower shrouds in situ. (see in the photo). I'm working to the plans supplied by Radimir at Hismodel.com, when I bought the rigging blocks.
My 1/98 scale HMS Victory arrived this afternoon. I opened the box and got the fright of my life.... so much in the box in comparison to the Halcon. I will have to buy the lifeboats and sails separately. However, Victory will be a separate build log when I eventually start on it.

20230405_203939.jpg

Small progress, but at least it's moving in the right direction now. I binned the shrouds that I built standalone and am slowly building the forecast lower shrouds in situ. (see in the photo). I'm working to the plans supplied by Radimir at Hismodel.com, when I bought the rigging blocks.
My 1/98 scale HMS Victory arrived this afternoon. I opened the box and got the fright of my life.... so much in the box in comparison to the Halcon. I will have to buy the lifeboats and sails separately. However, Victory will be a separate build log when I eventually start on it.

View attachment 367533
Your Halcon is looking great ! :)
Thanks for sharing all your work.

Jeff

Thanks for the kind comments Jeff. It's frustratingly slow now with the rigging and so many tiny wooden blocks to thread. Even more frustrating as I'm itching to get started on the big HMS Victory and Cutty Sark, but I must be patient.
I had a look at what wooden parts were available for the Revell Cutty Sark and was dismayed that wooden masts and spars were not an option. I'll just have to be creative again.

Tony

Thanks for the kind comments Jeff. It's frustratingly slow now with the rigging and so many tiny wooden blocks to thread. Even more frustrating as I'm itching to get started on the big HMS Victory and Cutty Sark, but I must be patient.
I had a look at what wooden parts were available for the Revell Cutty Sark and was dismayed that wooden masts and spars were not an option. I'll just have to be creative again.

Tony
I understand about the slow progress part. I need to get going on the hull planking on mine, but I have so many things going on (packing for the move and moving quickly toward retirement) that life has just been getting in the way.
You probably answered your own question about the masts and spars for the Cutty Sark. They are (relatively) easy to scratch build so many people probably make their own if they want them in wood. :)
Stay safe Tony !

Jeff

Like many others, you may think that retirement will bring lots of spare time. That couldn't be farther from the truth. I carried on past normal retirement age, finally quitting just two months before my 70th birthday, that was back in December 2019. My only reason for quitting then, was to look after my wife who was suffering with a prolapsed disc.
Life in retirement is manic. I wonder how I ever found the time to go to work.
Talking of work, back in the shipyard I have the shrouds on the main mast and I have just finished making the lanyards and vertical ropes for the upper mast shrouds. They are so tiny, I'm really struggling with them.20230413_181000.jpg

Back