Seahorse Cardboard Models "Seahorse" Products and News

Hi,
let me introduce you to the recently created Polish publishing house "Seahorse" dealing with the design of cardboard models of sailing ships.
It was created "naturally" after fifteen years of designing and building cardboard sailing ships for various other publishers. So it's time to start own publishing house.
Earlier projects were published in "Modelarstwo Okrętowe" (cutters HMS Speedy 1822 and HMS Fly 1763) and in the WAK publishing house (Trabaccolo, Saettia, Muleta de Seixal, Allege d'Arles, Grosse Jacht, Gokstadskipet, HMS Badger). Certainly, these models are known to enthusiasts of cardboard boatbuilding.

We currently have four new models that I will present in the next posts (VOC Duyfken 1606, Sao Gabriel, Leudo vinacciere, Armed Virginia Sloop). Three of them were presented here on the SOS forum.
duyf small.jpg
VOC Duyfken 1606

saog.jpg
>>> Sao Gabriel

fin 19.03.20 07.jpg
>>> Leudo Vinacciere

s01 small.jpg
>>> Armed Virginia Sloop

We have dedicated laser-cut frames, first plating layers. gun carriages and block sets for all models. The offer also includes sails printed on a delicate cotton canvas and sets of sticks of which you can prepare spars.
laser duyfken.jpg

2mm 2s 02.jpg

The very process of building a cardboard sailing ship is much simpler than wooden structures, although you should remember about the specific properties of cardboard / paper and learn how to shape and glue it. You don't need sophisticated tools or a separate workshop. All you need is scissors, a sharp scalpel (Olfa or a surgical blade), a cutting pad, three types of glue and some paints. Cardboard sailing ships are a budget version of this wonderful hobby, but they are in no way inferior to wooden models, since they have their own separate class in the international NAVIGA competition.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have. You can also find us on Facebook HERE or write to "wydawnictwo@seahorse.pl"

Greetings

Attachments

• gen 09b.jpg
    gen 09b.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • gok 12a.jpg
    gok 12a.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 61
  • P3180030_zpsa16osxyd.jpg
    P3180030_zpsa16osxyd.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 64
  • lawety speedy 3.jpg
    lawety speedy 3.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 66
Congratulations for starting now your own publishing business - wish you a lot of success.

And when I tale a look on your models - you will have success - They are looking very good Thumbsup

These are incredible. I am sure many will be interested in this. If ok, I will create an "AD" on the side banners where the other AD's are with a link.

Hi,
let me introduce you to the recently created Polish publishing house "Seahorse" dealing with the design of cardboard models of sailing ships.
It was created "naturally" after fifteen years of designing and building cardboard sailing ships for various other publishers. So it's time to start own publishing house.
Earlier projects were published in "Modelarstwo Okrętowe" (cutters HMS Speedy 1822 and HMS Fly 1763) and in the WAK publishing house (Trabaccolo, Saettia, Muleta de Seixal, Allege d'Arles, Grosse Jacht, Gokstadskipet, HMS Badger). Certainly, these models are known to enthusiasts of cardboard boatbuilding.

We currently have four new models that I will present in the next posts (VOC Duyfken 1606, Sao Gabriel, Leudo vinacciere, Armed Virginia Sloop). Three of them were presented here on the SOS forum.
View attachment 228520
VOC Duyfken 1606

View attachment 228517
>>> Sao Gabriel

View attachment 228518
>>> Leudo Vinacciere

View attachment 228519
>>> Armed Virginia Sloop

We have dedicated laser-cut frames, first plating layers. gun carriages and block sets for all models. The offer also includes sails printed on a delicate cotton canvas and sets of sticks of which you can prepare spars.
View attachment 228508

View attachment 228514

The very process of building a cardboard sailing ship is much simpler than wooden structures, although you should remember about the specific properties of cardboard / paper and learn how to shape and glue it. You don't need sophisticated tools or a separate workshop. All you need is scissors, a sharp scalpel (Olfa or a surgical blade), a cutting pad, three types of glue and some paints. Cardboard sailing ships are a budget version of this wonderful hobby, but they are in no way inferior to wooden models, since they have their own separate class in the international NAVIGA competition.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have. You can also find us on Facebook HERE or write to "wydawnictwo@seahorse.pl"

Greetings
Very impressed, hard to believe it's cardboard. I'm assuming that the yards and masts are wood.

Hi,
thank you for comments.
@MikeC @
I haven't looked at stores in the United States yet, and I don't know which store would be interested. Due to the distance and customs duties, this is certainly a greater challenge than shipping models to a store in Germany or the Netherlands in the European Union. Any suggestions related to a US dealer are welcome.

@Simebru635 @
Yes, the masts are made of wood. But there are modellers who ambitiously make cardboard spars. However, due to the standing rigging that is taut, it is very difficult to generally "risky"

Greetings
Tomek

I have the impression that paper models lack the ability to hold shape and last long periods of time without suffering the ravages caused by changes in moisture in the environment, and small parts may not have the strength of wood in order to hold their shape and not sag over time. The texture and subtle depth of coloration inherent in wood seems to also lacking. Small, thin, detail items seem to be lacking, such that it would seem they could be supplemented better with wood.

Having no experience working with paper or pressed paper board as a material, what can you tell me about your experience working with paper ships and how the items I mentioned affect its longevity, appearance, and strength?

Eager to learn....

Hello @DARIVS ARCHITECVS@

I will try to briefly answer your questions.

Of course, the cardboard models of sailing ships are generally not of "museum" quality, but literally a few days ago the cardboard sailing ships made by Ab Hoving were just donated to the archaeological museum 'Huis van Hilde' in Castricum. So their quality can be really amazing. If you missed the excellent description of Mr. Hoving in the section of cardboard models about the construction of cardboard sailing ships, be sure to read >>> Ever considered to scratch-build from card?

1. Cardboard models do not deform too quickly. Of course, it is not 100 or 200 years as with wooden models, but they look good for 20 years or even longer. Currently, the standard for ambitious projects is to protect paper and cardboard with varnish (acrylic, primer) before construction. After the model is finished, several layers of varnish are also used (usually 2-3 shiny and finally matte). The durability of the hull shape can be also easily achieved by filling the structure with some kind of mounting foam, even with polystyrene, and profiling with a modeling putty.
In the models designed and tested by us, we use three layers of cardboard, thanks to which the shape of the hull and its durability are also very good. This is partly due to a certain "tradition" on the Polish market that the model is to be designed to be made of paper without any "tricks" (no putty, etc.). You can see this type of construction here >>> Meerman

2. Small parts, if made of cardboard, are often soaked with thin cyanoacrylate glue. Paper and cardboard then become very stiff and hard, and thicker cardboard impregnated with CA can be processed with a file almost in the same way as wood. In this case, of course, you need to paint the details. Nobody avoids other materials that can be helpful: long parts very often have wire inside, etc. A pressboard is also used (I am not sure if this is the right word for pressed cardboard used in industry, e.g. for the production of seals).

3. Reflecting the structure of the wood is obviously difficult, but take into account that the models are 1: 100 scale, so the "roughness" of the wood in this scale should not be very visible. The parts are filled with wood textures, which of course only gives a color effect without the inequalities characteristic of wood. Printing itself also has its limitations. Models can be painted using various advanced techniques (dry brush, weathering, etc.) achieving very good results, especially if you use paper with a wood structure.

4. Nothing prevents you from making some of the smallest parts from other materials to add details and beauty. Photo-etched parts and 3D printing are increasingly used.

In my private opinion, the biggest difference in the construction of cardboard and wooden models lies in the shaping of the parts. When building from paper and cardboard, no clamps are used, no force is used at all - each part must be precisely shaped so that it fits perfectly without glue. The glue only serves to keep it in place.
As with the great models made of wood, experience plays a huge role in the great models made of cardboard. But every modeler knows about it :)

If there is anything else I can explain or give a hint, please ask.

Reagrds
Tomek

I’m currently building my second paper/card model from Shipyard, HMS Wolfe. These kits can produce finished models as detailed as those made from wood. Keep in mind that all the spars and masts are wood and all the cannon are brass. I’ll post some build pictures soon. I posted my finished photos of HMS Alert on this site some time ago.

The only negative for me has been the scale of 1/72, which is just a little too small for me. I can’t imagine doing any sailing ship model in 1/100 scale, especially card.

The Shipyard models provide all the blocks and deadeyes as almost microscopic card segments that have to be assembled. There’s no way that I would even attempt to use them. I’d go crazy. I replaced them all with wood blocks and deadeyes and kept my sanity.

I give credit to anyone who could assemble paper blocks , as well as other sub-assemblies like pumps and lanterns in 1/100 scale.

My first model was 1:100. It's tough to make small details, and quite a challenge to fully rig with sails. I really wish not that I started HMS Sovereign of the Seas in 1:60 or larger. The carvings appear too small to get the level of detail I desire.

If I were you Darius Architectus and Submarinerblue, I would take a look at Doris's work here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/...-royal-katherine-1664-1-55-scratch-build.html
There are no borders for the gifted ones :) .
Ab
ps: I have seen and worked on wooden models of hundreds of years old. You don't want to know what horrible things I have come across. I have seen plastic models that become brittle after a few years. Every material has its limitations and its backsides. The central question however is not how to make a model which will last forever. I think the central question is how to get fun from making things, even if you don't have a sophisticated workshop and all sorts of machines. We will not be around forever and neither will our products. But I hope every model shipbuilder will look back at an enjoyable period constructing his (or her) models.

Last edited:
If I were you Darius Architectus and Submarinerblue, I would take a look at Doris's work here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/...-royal-katherine-1664-1-55-scratch-build.html
There are no borders for the gifted ones :) .
Ab
ps: I have seen and worked on wooden models of hundreds of years old. You don't want to know what horrible things I have come across. I have seen plastic models that become brittle after a few years. Every material has its limitations and its backsides. The central question however is not how to make a model which will last forever. I think the central question is how to get fun from making things, even if you don't have a sophisticated workshop and all sorts of machines. We will not be around forever and neither will our products. But I hope every model shipbuilder will look back at an enjoyable period constructing his (or her) models.
I fully agree - Doris work is really exceptional - but shows what is possible with paper and cardboard

Hi everybody,

Thank you for your comments and discussion.

Today I would like to present the first model released by "Seahorse", that is VOC "Duyfken" - the ship which, under the command of Willem Janszoon, was the first to officially reach Australia. "Officially", because it is known that the Portuguese were already cruising those waters and perhaps they saw the land, and even replenished their drinking water supplies. One way or another, it is assumed that "Duyfken" in 1606 discovered Australia.

When designing the model I had the pleasure and honor of getting help and suggestions from Ab Hoving, whom I would like to thank here.

1 okładka mała.jpg
1 duyfken foto.jpg
1. duyfken foto 1.jpg
1. duyfken foto 2.jpg
1. duyfken foto 3.jpg
The model is released in a scale of 1: 100, but the advantage of cardboard models is the ability to easily rescale and print them on your own. The edition consists of the history of the ship, instructions in Polish and English, assembly drawings and 8 A4 pages of the printed parts.
1. duyfken inside 2.jpg
1. duyfken inside.jpg
1. duyfken inside 3.jpg
1. duyfken inside 4.jpg

Optionally, the model has accessories: laser cut frames in 1 mm cardboard and the first "false" planking in 0.5 mm cardboard, a set of parts for gluing carriages, a set of blocks and deadeyes cut in the pressboard.
1 duyfken lasery.jpg
1. duyfken bloczki 1.jpg

We also have sails dedicated to the model, printed on a thin cotton canvas. The printing is one-sided, so on the back side, the sections should be gently marked with a pencil. Linden and beech dowels, which can be used to make spars, are also available for the model.

It is a difficult model, so if it has aroused your interest but you you are not friends with cardboard modeling, wait for the presentation of the third issue, Leudo vinacciere, which is much easier to build and can be a great introduction to gain some experience.

Greetings
Tomek

It is looking like a very good and interesting cardboard model Thumbsup
- great to hear, that our member and friend @Ab Hoving was assisting Seahorse in the research and preparation

Back