SEAGULL - POF in 1:48

Perhaps I have overseen something, but in your last picture I miss the rising wood. It is a part on top the keel where the frames are sitting.
View attachment 398407
The picture shows the rising wood and the unfinished deadwood of HMS Triton.
Thank you so much for your rapid reply it is greatly appreciated.
My final photograph shows the deadwood as a red curved line, cut outs and lands will have to be my interpretation.
The earlier photos are of the mid section and the rising wood at the stem and stern are out of shot, but is there and will be added to if required.

Are you building a model kit? Or have you adapted some ship plans to include these notches, this anrrangement are not shown on my drawings. Secondly where will your rebate and bearding lines go? For some reason I expected some ears to drop from the frames either side of the keel, but again on checking this is not the case on my plans. Finally are your frames a glue and push fit into these slots or will you do well them to the keel?

Thank you so much for your input, it does give me an alternative to contemplate further.

It is a scratch build. I am working on my own reconstruction.
If you work with original drawings you will allwys miss some information. Have alook at the deck plans. You will normally see only the deck beams and beam arms but not thecarlings and ledges. Every shipbuilder hs known how to build these. So it was not necessary to draw them. Disposition of frame drawings were introduced in the 70th of the 18. century.

It took a lot of time to read and learn and I am allways on the beginning.

Anobium Punctatum, thank you for giving up your time to send a further reply. Your keel looks superb I need to follow your build log. I have completed a kit and jumped into this at the deep-end I am afraid and need every bit of information I can get.

I made a spare ]O[ frame and will use this to mark out an appropriate joint.

Thanks again.

Hi followers. Where did a few weeks go? Holiday, reading and streamlining my frame making process (at last!).

Picked up a few books from World Of Books (WOB) and have got really engrossed by the following, for a complete novice this has been really helpful with the history and construction of the 19th century wooden ships.

IMG_0898.jpeg

Also some frames coming together.

IMG_0896.jpeg

It will probably be a little while until I complete the midship frames that are on the keel under the keelsom. Then the challenge of the frames set onto the deadwood as square and cant frames.

Hi All……After the cold and wet winter my workshop was pretty uncomfortable and locally we had two rounds of flooding but thankfully nothing too serious. Always worried about the dimensional stability of the wood over the winter so tend to hibernate with plans, books etc. Today was the first day back as it were. Will post the frame manufacturing technique and progress in the coming weeks. For those interested the following books have been helpful for my build as well as general interest.

tempImageRGEnlK.jpgtempImage9Bd3h4.jpgtempImagenkwKNH.jpg

Back