Scotland

I will be in Edinburgh the first week of October. If anyone has recommendations for things to see (including things other than modeling-oriented places) please let me know

JimS.

Hi Jim. I visit Edinburgh often and it's a glorious city. Some ideas:

- Nautical: The Royal Yacht Britannia is permanently docked in Leith at the northernmost end of the city. It's walkable but there are buses to and from the city centre. Also, there's the Maritime Museum in Leith.
- Visit Holyrood Palace and then a climb up Calton Hill for a good view of the city.
-From there walk up the Royal Mile to the castle on the mound. Lots to see on the way. -Climb up Arthur's Seat (the high hill which can be seen from most of the city.
-- a walk along the Crags and also Blackford Hill - offering great views of the city as well
If you enjoy walking try to see as much as you can on foot because all along the various routes you'll find small places of interest (such as the Museum of Scotland and the National Gallery and countless small museums and places of interest). It's a compact city.

Enjoy your visit!

Pat

I will be in Edinburgh the first week of October. If anyone has recommendations for things to see (including things other than modeling-oriented places) please let me know

JimS.
Some more Jim: Glasgow is an hour's train trip away and has many attractions too, such as The tall ship 'Glenlee' and the new Riverside Museum. I've still to visit them myself so can't comment on them but you might want to consider a visit there - the city has a rich history of shipbuilding on the Clyde river.

If you have the time for a day trip, you might consider Holy Island in Northumberland; Lindisfarne was an important part of Britains ancient history but the area is beautiful in any case. But take an extra jumper, it's exposed to the north sea weather which can be cold at this time of the year.

If you have the time for a day trip, you might consider Holy Island in Northumberland; Lindisfarne was an important part of Britains ancient history but the area is beautiful in any case. But take an extra jumper, it's exposed to the north sea weather which can be cold at this time of the year.
correction - which can be cold at ANY time of the year :)

Some more Jim: Glasgow is an hour's train trip away and has many attractions too, such as The tall ship 'Glenlee' and the new Riverside Museum. I've still to visit them myself so can't comment on them but you might want to consider a visit there - the city has a rich history of shipbuilding on the Clyde river.
Also the Mackintosh museum.

JimS.
Jim, if you like Scottish Ale, Belhaven Brewery is just about an hour east of Edinburgh. They rolled out the red carpet for my wife and me , decades ago, if you’re interested in that kind of place, call or write in advance to see if they can accommodate you. They were rather surprised at that time that a beer consumer would travel across the pond to visit their brewery.

Back