San Bartolome - Port Ludlow

ADMIN: Please correct or move this as necessary.

I am a year and a half into this project having benefited along the way by following your excellent build logs. Many thanks to all. My kit is planked. I built the bulwark caps and am attempting to attach them. Is the additional width of the lower cap intended for sacrificial width shaping to accommodate the hull shape?

In the photo below the cap rails are sitting unattached to illustrate the difference in widths.

1. How have you dealt with the width differences
2. How did you clamp the rails in place for the glue up. Photos of how to hold in place?

In the both photos it can be seen that the top cap is narrower than the lower cap. Is the extra width of the lower cap intended to be sacrificial to accommodate the shape of the hull?

IMG_3351.jpeg

IMG_3369.jpeg

IMG_3353.jpeg

Hi Dave ,
Thank you for your reply. I have been carefully following those 50 videos. My photos show that I have completed the fabrication of the caps the same as he has. My two question are about the next steps beyond which his video does not show. I am asking if anyone has. photos for them.
Respectfully,
John

I think I understand what's going on. This wide part needs to be made narrow using a knife and sandpaper and bent to the shape of the side. You see, the side of the ship is not straight (if you look at the ship from above), so they allowed you to make this part with a margin so that the part could be removed. As a last resort, you can write to Pavel Nikitin and find out how this can be done. By the way, were you sent instructions by email?

FB_IMG_1685126591904.jpg

ADMIN: Corrija o mueva esto según sea necesario.

Llevo un año y medio en este proyecto y me he beneficiado a lo largo del camino al seguir sus excelentes registros de compilación. Muchas gracias a todos. Mi equipo está entablado. Construí las tapas de las baluartes y estoy intentando colocarlas. ¿El ancho adicional de la tapa inferior está destinado a sacrificar la forma del ancho para adaptarse a la forma del casco?

En la foto de abajo, los rieles superiores están separados para ilustrar la diferencia de anchos.

1. ¿Cómo has solucionado las diferencias de ancho?
2. ¿Cómo sujetaste los rieles en su lugar para colocar el pegamento? ¿Fotos de cómo mantener en su lugar?

En ambas fotos se puede ver que la tapa superior es más estrecha que la inferior. ¿Se pretende que el ancho adicional de la tapa inferior sea un sacrificio para adaptarse a la forma del casco?

[ADJUNTAR=completo]433050[/ADJUNTAR]

[ADJUNTAR=completo]433059[/ADJUNTAR]

[ADJUNTAR=completo]433051[/ADJUNTAR]
You must first shape the board by placing it on top of the gunwale and marking with a pencil underneath, following the line of the hull, and then using a file to cut it to the appropriate shape.

Thread 'San Bartolomé - Pavel Nikitin' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/san-bartolomé-pavel-nikitin.13807/

Primero debes darle forma a la tabla colocándola encima de la borda y marcando con un lápiz debajo, siguiendo la línea del casco, y luego usando una lima para cortarla con la forma adecuada.

20240103_175223.jpg

20240103_175232.jpg

20240103_175241.jpg

20240103_175244.jpg

Last edited:
I think I understand what's going on. This wide part needs to be made narrow using a knife and sandpaper and bent to the shape of the side. You see, the side of the ship is not straight (if you look at the ship from above), so they allowed you to make this part with a margin so that the part could be removed. As a last resort, you can write to Pavel Nikitin and find out how this can be done. By the way, were you sent instructions by email?

View attachment 433398

Dave, thank you. Your suggestion is exactly what I guessed but thought it best to ask advice to confirm. I have been intentionally staying behind the several build logs and You Tube video to benefit from their experiences and in this case I was unable to find someone who described the process. This is a nice photo that demonstrates the result.

Denis emailed the 177 page pdf file and through the postal service sent a thick packet of meter size sheets that show profiles and rigging plans.

I pray that you and your family are safe and well.

Respectfully,
John

Dave, thank you. Your suggestion is exactly what I guessed but thought it best to ask advice to confirm. I have been intentionally staying behind the several build logs and You Tube video to benefit from their experiences and in this case I was unable to find someone who described the process. This is a nice photo that demonstrates the result.

Denis emailed the 177 page pdf file and through the postal service sent a thick packet of meter size sheets that show profiles and rigging plans.

I pray that you and your family are safe and well.

Respectfully,
John
Thank you too, John, for your kind words.

Back