Russian schooner Izmael 1773 1:64

Hi Mike, I designed and made the jig myself. If you are interested go to
Modelshipyard: BuildingYour Model
Tools, Lathes, Mills, Jigs and Techniques

Building Board Gantry Type

It is easy to build and fun to use.

Mike

Hi Mike, no problem, there are some scales you can print out in a separate thread and if you have any questions just post them.

Mike

Frames:

This is a few more photos of the frames being added to the keel.

The crossbar on the jig has a center scale graduated from the centerline to the port and starboard sides of the model that is useful for keeping the frames centered. It is also used as a clamp when adding frames.

IMG_5466.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

Frames:

The half frames were installed with no problems, but when I got to the last three frames I ran out of T-track. I could have replaced them with longer track, but did not want to take the jig apart, so it was clamps and rubber bands that finished the job.

Progress photos.

IMG_5475.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5477.jpg

IMG_5478.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

Thanks Mike. It was not a big problem.

This will be my build log for the Izmael.

I wanted to add a small schooner to my collection, and I like the look of the Ismael. The original drawings are in Russian, but I just use the drawings anyway.

View attachment 421429 View attachment 421430

History:

The Izmael was built by M.I. Ryabinin at the Black Sea Shipyard located along the Danube River.

The Izmael was used mainly for costal defense, patrolling, and protecting the coastal region. It was also used to help map coastlines, rivers, and uncharted areas. The Izmael likely transported passengers, mail, and supplies between ports and settlements.

Russian schooner Izmael 1773 1:64

NationalityRussia
OperatorBlack Sea
ShipyardDanube River
Ship ClassPobedoslav Dunaiskii Class (1772)
ConstructorM. I. Ryabinin
CategoryUnrated
Ship TypeSchooner
Dimensions

Dimension Measurements

Length of Gundeck 90' 0" Imperial
Breadth 25' 4" Imperial Depth in Hold11' 4"Imperial

Armament

Gun Deck 12 Russian 12-Pounders

I scaled the drawings to 3/16” = 1’-0” and traced the keel and body plan and used them to develop the frames and keel drawings.

The framing will be made from a branch of a pear that was blown down by a storm about a year ago. I had cut it into billets and stored the wood in a dry place. Free wood does keep the cost of models down.

As usual I was in a hurry to get started so I started building the keel and plan to make the drawings as needed…

View attachment 421431

The Keel:

Keel Assembly jpeg Keel Parts jpeg

Progress Photos:

View attachment 421432View attachment 421433View attachment 421434View attachment 421435
Hallo @Mike41
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back