Russian schooner Izmael 1773 1:64

Mike41

Staff member
Forum Moderator

This will be my build log for the Izmael.

I wanted to add a small schooner to my collection, and I like the look of the Ismael. The original drawings are in Russian, but I just use the drawings anyway.

1705344297938.png 1705344330362.png

History:

The Izmael was built by M.I. Ryabinin at the Black Sea Shipyard located along the Danube River.

The Izmael was used mainly for costal defense, patrolling, and protecting the coastal region. It was also used to help map coastlines, rivers, and uncharted areas. The Izmael likely transported passengers, mail, and supplies between ports and settlements.

Russian schooner Izmael 1773 1:64

NationalityRussia
OperatorBlack Sea
ShipyardDanube River
Ship ClassPobedoslav Dunaiskii Class (1772)
ConstructorM. I. Ryabinin
CategoryUnrated
Ship TypeSchooner
Dimensions

Dimension Measurements

Length of Gundeck 90' 0" Imperial
Breadth 25' 4" Imperial Depth in Hold11' 4"Imperial

Armament

Gun Deck 12 Russian 12-Pounders

I scaled the drawings to 3/16” = 1’-0” and traced the keel and body plan and used them to develop the frames and keel drawings.

The framing will be made from a branch of a pear that was blown down by a storm about a year ago. I had cut it into billets and stored the wood in a dry place. Free wood does keep the cost of models down.

As usual I was in a hurry to get started so I started building the keel and plan to make the drawings as needed…

IMG_5410.jpg

The Keel:

Keel Assembly jpeg Keel Parts jpeg

Progress Photos:

IMG_5411.jpgIMG_5412.jpgIMG_5413 (1).jpgIMG_5414.jpg

Last edited:
You never rest ...... already the next interesting project on the table
Do you have some information about the history of this russian schooner?
Are these original drawings?

Hi Uwe, I added a brief history for the Russian schooner. The drawings look like copies of the original drawings, I received them from Zoltan a few years back. We were considering the ship for a group build but it never materialized. This was common type of vessel of the late 18th century.

The Keel continuation:

I used a strip of basswood 1/8” wide by 1/16 thick to create the notch for bearding line. The false keel is 1/16” X 3/16” Bloodwood.

The Frames:

I wanted to keep the framing simple, the single frames are normally made with small chocks between the futtocks, and I have problems handling small parts, so I eliminated them. My full frames consist of five pieces a floor and four futtocks joined with scarf joints. The frames may not be historically accurate, but they are easy on my hands. The half frames are even easier, two pieces scarfed in the curved section. They are used in the bow and stern sections.

I built the midships frame first to see if it was strong enough and didn’t look too bad. It passed the test. I planned to start at the bow and made the first two bow frames They have not been beveled yet, I set them in place on the keel assembly temporally and decided a small jig would be helpful during installation.

Progress Photos:

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

Hawse Timbers:

I thought combining the hawse timbers with the foremost bow frames would make their installation easier.

I made patterns for the hawse timbers and used spray adhesive to blocks of the pear wood and used a small bandsaw to rough shape the timbers and drum sander in my Dremel tool for the final shaping.

Progress Photos:

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5428.jpgIMG_5429.jpg

I wanted to build a small schooner and a staff member here shared some drawings with me. I like the looks of the Izmael and decided to build it. I have no personal connection to the ship. I am creating the modeling plans as I build the model.

I see you are off to a good start on the Le Rochefort. The larger scales are easier to work with. I do not like the way the frames are overlapped I like to make separate drawings for each frame. Good luck with the build.

Mike

Looking at your plan it seems that this vessel is a ketch, not a schooner.

Hi Bonetta, Wikipedia called the ship a schooner.
This drawing of the sail plan shows the second mast higher than the forward mast and a ketch would have a shorter second mast.
Thanks for your comment. I had to look up the difference.

Side View w  Sails.jpegMike

Dear Mike
looks interesting project, I will keep following with great curiosity :)
as usual you are doing wonderful work!

Dear Mike
looks interesting project, I will keep following with great curiosity :)
as usual you are doing wonderful work!
Thank you, Shota, this should be an interesting project. I have not built a schooner in a while.

Bow Frames:

This set of photos shows the installation of the hawse timbers and first frame. I had a small problem clamping the hawse timbers to the apron and resorted to using painters’ tape to hold them in place while the glue dried.

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

Thanks Archi, having access to a Russin site will be very helpful.

Back