Ropes of Scale using techniques

I am seeking some advice or tips on using the beautiful rope I purchased from Ropes of Scale.

It is a 1mm beige polyester rope.

I used some for the first time today to lash the longboats.

When I cut the rope as I was handling the end to tie and secure it to the eyepin it unraveled quite dramatically.

Can I ask if there are any specifics I need to do to it to prevent this happening.
Do I need to seal the end after cutting to prevent unraveling?
What is the best way to seal it? Heat or glue? Which glue?

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Michael IMG_4775.jpegIMG_4773.jpeg

Hi Michael,

Yes. You need to fix the ends of poly-based ropes. I used CA (cyanoacrylate) on the ropes I made. I believe Ben bakes all of his ropes (@BenD) so that should make them a bit more stable after they are cut - but once you start handling them all manner of unraveling will ensue...

Hi Michael,

Yes. You need to fix the ends of poly-based ropes. I used CA (cyanoacrylate) on the ropes I made. I believe Ben bakes all of his ropes (@BenD) so that should make them a bit more stable after they are cut - but once you start handling them all manner of unraveling will ensue...
Thanks Paul. I thought I needed to do something but good to know it’s not just me, and I will seal and cut after.
You have to seal the area of rope with tiny drop of CA glue BEFORE you cut.
Thanks Yuri.
I appreciate your advice.
Off to seal some rope.

The 1mm ropes have had their formula changed, I'm using a different size of thread. Clearly, I need to increase the baking time a bit. The Gutermann E382 thread needs a lot more time in the oven.

Using a lighter or CA glue is a quick fix.

@Chestcutter again I'm sorry about this.

Hi, can you please explain why and how you bake your polyester rope in the oven?
If you don't they can unravel for several inches. The larger ones will keep unraveling up to 40cm ( I measured it once!) I've also found that ropes that don't get baked will shrink up and stiffen over time. I've done quite a lot of testing.

Not all Polyester ropes will go this. I've found that some mara sizes won't do this as badly. It's Just the Gutermann E is very temperamental stuff.

So after baking in oven rope needs no CA glue to prevent unraveling?
For my previous build I made and baked all my poly ropes. In my experience they won't unravel after baking unless you handle them a lot. Having said that, I still was in the habit of using CA on the ends.

For ropes up to about 0.35 mm I baked them at 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit about 3 1/2 minutes (give or take). For 0.45 through about 1.0 mm I baked them closer to 4 1/2 minutes, and for larger sizes 5 minutes or longer.

You need to wrap the length of rope around something or things go all crazy - I used an empty soup can.

Hope this helps, Yuri. Ben has far more experience than me so perhaps he might suggest a different baking forumula...

For my previous build I made and baked all my poly ropes. In my experience they won't unravel after baking unless you handle them a lot. Having said that, I still was in the habit of using CA on the ends.

For ropes up to about 0.35 mm I baked them at 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit about 3 1/2 minutes (give or take). For 0.45 through about 1.0 mm I baked them closer to 4 1/2 minutes, and for larger sizes 5 minutes or longer.

You need to wrap the length of rope around something or things go all crazy - I used an empty soup can.

Hope this helps, Yuri. Ben has far more experience than me so perhaps he might suggest a different baking forumula...
This pretty much sums it up.

The 1mm ropes have had their formula changed, I'm using a different size of thread. Clearly, I need to increase the baking time a bit. The Gutermann E382 thread needs a lot more time in the oven.

Using a lighter or CA glue is a quick fix.

@Chestcutter again I'm sorry about this.
No need for apologies Ben. The rope is beautiful to look at. I will make it work just knowing what to do to prevent the unraveling is all I need to know.
Thanks everyone for the discussion, very helpful

I want to mention I use the thinnest CA viscosity. This provides good penetration of glue into a thread fabric and ensures the CA blobs are not being formed.

Have done mine 170 - 176 Celsius with time variations subject to rope size with very few issues. For me it's sometimes easier to heat an old #11 blade for cutting the rope (E121 ex BenD -- cheap as chips) rather than use CA which affects breathing and eye sight. My two cents worth. :)

Back