Rope sizes.

I'm playing with my rope walk and took a look at Mondfeld to get an idea of what sizes of rope I may need. For those of you that don't have the book there is a chart that relates all the rope sizes back to a percentage of the mainstay which is a percentage of the mast diameter. Anyway, just about every rope on the ship is a different percentage(I exaggerate a bit) but there are a lot of different sizes and they are close together. Like 17%.18%,20% right up to 50%. Obviously at 1:48 there ain't gonna be a lot of difference between 17,18 and 20%. So how many different sizes of scale ropes do you use on a model? Half dozen? More?
Thanks in advance.
do you need to go to the second decimal place? if you just looked at the first, I think you would get lest variation.

Yes, that's pretty much how it works out. The controlling factor is the rope. I just got some Tex 70 thread and spun up every size from 3x1 to 3x6 and got rope that is .026, .036, .045, .052, .060 and .068. So I will have to use the closest fit for each rope.

With open docs and Google docs floating around Microsoft (had to?) come up with this...
Excel for the web is Excel, but in your web browser. You can access it from any device, anywhere. And better yet, it's free for your personal use! (If you need to use it for a business, you can access it with a Microsoft 365 subscription.)

It's a bit off topic, but the online version of Excel is free to use. The only caveat is that you need to have a Microsoft account (free to set one up). You could also try Google Sheets which is also free to use with a (free) Goggle account. I checked and the file posted earlier (#18) opens in Google Sheets.

It's a bit off topic, but the online version of Excel is free to use. The only caveat is that you need to have a Microsoft account (free to set one up). You could also try Google Sheets which is also free to use with a (free) Goggle account. I checked and the file posted earlier (#18) opens in Google Sheets.
I use OpenOffice myself.

I lost track of what is going on, sorry. Is this Dan Vadas spreadsheet then?
the first tab states that the author was Radimir Beseda, but that could have been edited for all I know. Much of the text is in Czec. But that could have Ben edited too. The spreadsheet we are referring to is posted on the first page of messages if you wish to see it.

yes. sorry about the confusion. that is my fault. I thought I had the Dan Vadas spreadsheet, but I must have deleted it. But the one one I shared is just a simplified version, even though some of the writing is not english. Anyways, that is the one I use.

Back