Rogers 119 from Occre

This train I made during the Corona pandemic, therefore I called it the Corona Express.
The kit is tricky to make, especially the metal tubing. The paint kept jumping off at the glued parts despite using a primer.
I did not like the original bright red for everything, therefore I only used it for the wheels and for the rest I used a Crimson red mixed with silver.

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Fantastic job. The numbers on the side and back of coal car are amazing. How did you do them? Please help us
Thank you for your kind words. The numbers are stickers that came with the kit. After applying them, I coated them with a top coat to give everything the same level of gloss.

I just joined this forum and was Pleasantly Surprised to see your build! I recently started this kit and now I have a goal to shoot for. It looks AWESOME! The only issue that has cropped up was the fit of some metal pieces into the few plastic parts. I did break one piece, but Occre replaced it promptly and for free. I can only hope my build looks as good as yours! (And I know that won’t be easy)

I have been tempted to order some of the train kits as I also do model railroading as a hobby and these make good desk displays.

If you didn’t make or post a build log, please share your secret: How did you attach the “boiler side” metals to the wooden forms? I’ve encountered this type of issue before (bonding metal to wood), but have never found a good solution. Even when the mating metal is roughened (sandpapered), the adhesives will not always hold. I hope your method works for all of the commonly used hobby metals.

If you didn’t make or post a build log, please share your secret: How did you attach the “boiler side” metals to the wooden forms? I’ve encountered this type of issue before (bonding metal to wood), but have never found a good solution. Even when the mating metal is roughened (sandpapered), the adhesives will not always hold. I hope your method works for all of the commonly used hobby metals.
Bonding the metal boiler plates to the wooden frame is indeed not straightforward. What I did, was to drill small holes at the corners of the plates and nailed it to the frame. The golden strip between the plates cover the nails.
Any dents in the metal can be removed by a filler.

Back