Rigging terms

I'm using the rigging rope sizes spreadsheet to check rigging diameters.
I'm not clear on which ropes some of the terms are referring to as the sizing doesn't fit with my impression.
Img_7719.jpg
Shrouds and stays I get - Tackles? I imagine the lanyards are the lines that go back and forth between the deadeyes, but then why are they larger than the stay/shroud?
Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!

The order in the list would suggest that:
They could be tackle-pendant and winding-tackle pendant: one of each on the port and starboard sides.
The sizing is indeed strange.....

What ship is this for?

G

I'm building the Mantua Astrolabe; the figures displayed are calculated for an 18th century ship, calculated from figures in Wolfram zu Mondfeld " Historic Ship Models "

I'm building the Mantua Astrolabe; the figures displayed are calculated for an 18th century ship, calculated from figures in Wolfram zu Mondfeld " Historic Ship Models "

The Astrolabe was built in early 1800, but it should not matter all that much.
So let me rephrase my answer: I would still think that your question about "what would be meant by tackles" relates to the pendants: but this is only my opinion.
Anyways, the pendants should be the same thickness (diameter) as the shrouds.

Does your book talks about or mentions pendants at all?
Sorry, I gave that book away long ago.

G.

Last edited:
Two excellent books that I feel should be in everymodelers library are:
Rigging Period Model Ships by Lennarth Petersson - and
The Rigging of Ships: in the days of the sprit-sal topmast schooner by R.C. Anderson.
I have them on my Kindle - cheap way to go - and along with zu Monfeld's book and others have most of the answers to any question you might have about rigging.

I have the Peterson book, and it is a masterpiece - clear and progressive, it helps understand how rigging works and the way to model it.
It does have the drawback that it is just based on the careful study of one ship, and an English one. So it does have features which would be wrong for ships of other nations and eras. ( e.g. I think it is pendants that in French ships go over the mast cap, but on English ones go under the shrouds - speaking from memory, so it might be some other bit of rigging!)

Back