Rigging book

I need some recommendations for a book on rigging my Discovery1789. The Discovery was a small(330 tons) ship, not sure how that affects the rigging. I have "Rigging Period Ships Models" by Lennarth Petersson which has wonderful drawings but no explanations. For example I'm trying to figure out which bitt does what and I'm striking out. I'm kinda looking for the rigging equivalent of Goodwins "Man of War". Thanks

In my opinion very helpful was this book by James Lees

The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1860

What I forgot to mention is also this contemporary book, which is available for free download.

The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel, is a comprehensive English textbook of rigging, seamanship and naval tactics. A key reference for those interested in the age of Nelson. Although at times difficult because of its fine detail, it will reward those that search through it to understand the technology of the era.

front1.jpg

BTW:
In the online archive of the HNSA (Historic Naval Ships Association) are a lot of documents for free download

hundreds of NAVY MANUALS AND DOCUMENTS ONLINE - mainly not sail, but modern .....

f.e also the book "Text-Book of Seamanship", 1891, is an updated age of sail textbook at the beginning of the true transition of warships from sail to steam power.

title.jpg

The Elements and Practice of Rigging And Seamanship, 1794, by David Steel, is a comprehensive English textbook of rigging, seamanship and naval tactics. A key reference for those interested in the age of Nelson. Although at times difficult because of its fine detail, it will reward those that search through it to understand the technology of the era.

If you don't like reading the PDF on a computer you can get them from Cambridge. https://www.cambridge.org/ca/academ...igging-seamanship-and-naval-tactics?format=WX

20220330_105839.jpg

I have downloaded Steel's book. It's a bear to wade through. I'll put it on my I-pad for bedtime reading and give it an harder look.

I need some recommendations for a book on rigging my Discovery1789. The Discovery was a small(330 tons) ship, not sure how that affects the rigging. I have "Rigging Period Ships Models" by Lennarth Petersson which has wonderful drawings but no explanations. For example I'm trying to figure out which bitt does what and I'm striking out. I'm kinda looking for the rigging equivalent of Goodwins "Man of War". Thanks
Here is a selection of rigging books that have found useful.

Attachments

• rigging references.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 96
Oh, brother! I just ordered the book by Petersson & am waiting for it, but I guess I should have bought Steel's! Guess I'll just have to muddle through.

Oh, brother! I just ordered the book by Petersson & am waiting for it, but I guess I should have bought Steel's! Guess I'll just have to muddle through.
Check on line for a free copy of this book. I have found the tables of rigging and block sizes to be the most useful part of this book. Trying to figure out a rigging scheme from a verbal description is tough.

Thanks for the links, are there equivalent tomes for non warships like clippers?

This book is worth waiting for, all easy to follow diagrams virtually no text.

I've found another book that's of a little later vintage to be helpful. It's called Spars and Rigging from Nautical Routine, 1849 by John McLeod Murphy and W. N. Jeffers. It's easy to reference just the item you're looking for, and it has some very clear illustrations in the back. It has been reproduced by Dover Books so it's not too expensive.

Thanks for the links, are there equivalent tomes for non warships like clippers?
For clippers I believe Harold Underhill’s Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship & Ocean Carrier would be a good reference.

Something to think about with books illustrating rigging…the illustrations will show rigging in great detail as it would be on a real ship. Most of us will not be able to actually duplicate that level of detail on our models. I have found the books with simpler, more generalized illustrations more helpful for modeling. I gravitate to Pettersson’s book even though I have some of the other more detailed references. At scale, it is difficult to distinguish the sizes of blocks and rope from the detailed charts. Which is why many model plans end up with three or four general sizes of rope and blocks…small, medium, and large. Each category might cover three or four sizes of detail…a small model block representing two or three small blocks used in detailed rigging from the real ship. This does not take away from the delight of research and our attempts to duplicate real rigging…just that rigging detail to scale is the real challenge.

I see a lot of good books passing by here. But I'm still looking for a copy of Anderson, R.C. Treatise of rigging from a manuscript of 1625. Mostly only available in museum or rare in the shop, with a price far to high for me. Does anybody have this book and can tell me more?
I know there is also a digital copy of this part but I can't find it.
There 2 volumes of this book, the other one is called Anderson, R.C. Treatise of shipbuilding. This copy is free to download and when you have the book of Peter Kirsch Die galeonen or galleons, on the end of the book there is a copy of this attached. look also here https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/a-treatise-on-rigging.7066/post-159194

Back