Revell USS Constitution 1:96 build log

The canons are for the upper desk. His Model has brass canons for the upper deck, but I don't think they fit the revell gun carriages. To buy both His Model would be over $100 USD.
If anyone has two extra of the Revell upper deck canons I will gladly pay for them and shipping. I just need two complete upper deck canons.
John Burger

Here Is a picture
I can't tell if is a female or male half I need. I could swear I put 22 together yesterday as a check. I know I am old.

View attachment 343943
i asked if you needed other parts and now that i have sealed the envelope with your blocks, you need cannons. going downstairs to look for cannons and a bottle of Rum! might have to wait till Wednesday to ship your parts. Bye the way, one is male, and one is female. these days i cannot tell which is which.

we are not old, only your thoughts are old. and your thoughts are all that matters. keeps us alive.

Thank you dnalley
shipped your skew of blocks and squeezed in three cannons in their carriages. hope you needed spar deck guns. i have been building this same model since the early nineties. my sister bought it for me as kind of a joke for Christmas because as a kid i always built car models and such. a few ships were there but limited. so once i had time i did the hull, masts, etc. and then it got put to dry dock for years. something about life that got in the way. and then something about death sparked a new life into her. drug her out, and that is the whole shebang. i have been pulling off old ugly plastic sails and handmaking new sails out of (wait for it) shortening filter sheets. i can pleat them and edge them and they are tough. i have also been re-doing stay lines because they have faltered.

anyway, good luck on your USS Connie and wish you the best. Oh, and i bet you have one hell of brisket rub!

The canons are for the upper desk. His Model has brass canons for the upper deck, but I don't think they fit the revell gun carriages. To buy both His Model would be over $100 USD.
If anyone has two extra of the Revell upper deck canons I will gladly pay for them and shipping. I just need two complete upper deck canons.
John Burger
done sent today with three spar deck cannons in carriages, if they survive. one skew of blocks with all sizes, if they survive the trip. and oh, by the way, still need the brisket secret recipe rub! happy modeling!

The parts came today. I will be sending you something to offset the cost you have incurred.
Thanks So very much.
May you have calm sea and fair winds.
John H. Burger
Former Bump
Spent several billets assigned
Units as MAA

T
E

Last edited:
The parts came today. I will be sending you something to offset the cost you have incurred.
Thanks So very much.
May you have calm sea and fair winds.
John H. Burger
Former BM1
Spent several billet aasnign

Hey John, glad the parts made it. You do not have to send me anything, except updated photos of your build.

Referring to what Greysteele said that had been green most of Constitution's life, but said to paint white?

I have taken part of the gun deck off. I am trying to remove the white paint from the gunwales. I used too think of white paint. I know I can do better. It is difficult because I keep breaking the gun ports off. I will put a thin coat of flat black to replace the white then paint it green.. I only have one green flat burnt green. I hope the thin flat black will cause the green to darken. I also had to remove the gun deck guns. I re-drill the holes for the eye bolts. Lost a few but have replacements from model shipways (metal).
As I get more done I will update.
Due to my health I can only work on it for about an hour. Then gone and lay down for about 3 hours to allow my back to stop hurting. I have two 10 inch rods screwed into my spine, plus 2 Spinal cord Stimulators in my back. Kees are shot have use a walker to get around the house.
Arthritis and old age (79) is a bitch!!

20221214_120342.jpg

I was watching all the snow storms. I was curious to see if snow was possible on Christmas day? The long range percentage 0.
I live 30 miles north of Austin.
I used to live in Austin and we have snow often but it usually happened In January or February.
Although once before Thanksgiving it snowed,, but on Christians day I had the A/C on and my kids were outside in shorts.
Texas can have crazy weather. It can be snowing in Dallas and 90 degrees on the coast.

Referring to what Greysteele said that had been green most of Constitution's life, but said to paint white?
The lower deck (gun deck) inner gunwales are white except for the gun ports covers (which are black). The upper deck (spar deck) inner gunwales are green. Note that there is currently a green stripe at the bottom of the gun deck gunwale.IMG_0031.JPG

Ships change their appearance throughout their lifespan, especially after major refits intended to preserve them, update them, and enhance them. It's personal preference what phase of the ship you choose to build. For accuracy, what is important is that you select a date of the version of the ship you are building, and to put in the research to learn as much as you can about the features, modification, and appearance of the ship at the time of your choice. What can show the viewer of your model that you did that research is a statement on the nameplate below you model that says something to the effect of "USS Constitution as she appeared in 1812". Others who know the history of ships will recognize and respect that.

If you built USS Constitution as she was in 1925, your model would look like this. Less impressive than at other times.
View attachment 342241

Of you could have built the Conny as it was in 1930 and save yourself all the rigging! :D
View attachment 342242
that's depressing.

that's depressing.
It's the nature of the fate of things that go obsolete. Look at the Egyptian pyramids or the Roman Coliseum. They've looked better. Which items get thrown millions of Euros/Dollars/Rubles/whatever and heaps of human effort to preserve is impossible to predict, and time eventually eats everything. HMS Victory will probably never sail again due to hull frame damage from improper storage. All we can due is enjoy what was saved and appreciate it. Once that appreciation is lost, so is historical artefact. USS Constitution is one of the few pieces of history chosen for restoration several times, and is still full functional, although they don't actually place her under full sail on the open sea because it is deemed too risky, perhaps because there aren't enough sailors skilled enough to even man the ship at full crew levels. Wooden ships were risky by today's standards, and no replica vessel is even allowed to see water without many concessions to contain modern safety related upgrades, like motorized power, electrical lighting, anchor winches, life rafts, radios, and navigational equipment. Maritime law would never allow a 100% accurate square rigger to sail, and that is also depressing.

When I joined this group I had started working on the USS Constitution made of wood. It was my first attempt at a wooded model. It was an old kit with badly hand cut parts. Everything went great until I got to the metal gun ports. Nothing lined up. I sanded the gun flush with the first layer of planking. It took me 4 month.
Now I am working on the Revell USS Constitution and the gun port are again giving me problems. Every time I start working the main deck I break off the gun port doors or the canons.
It seem like the super glues, Tamiya, and
Testors is having a tough time adhering to the plastic used in these old kits.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so we're you able to find a solution?0

Back