Revell Cutty Sark

lovely work! May I suggest your next project should be replacing the deadeyes with the real thing? The plastic bits supplied by Revell are the "ha'penny worth of tar" which spoils an otherwise very tidy build.

lovely work! May I suggest your next project should be replacing the deadeyes with the real thing? The plastic bits supplied by Revell are the "ha'penny worth of tar" which spoils an otherwise very tidy build.
Thanks! I will do that if I build another plastic kit. Wood is better.

Tommy S what a beautiful job you have done on the Cutty Sark. I love this ship and have several models of it, one of which I'm working on now made of wood by Sergal. Just getting into the rigging now and really miss having the rigging directions that come with your model from Revell. They were the best I've ever seen and to work with out them after having them at one time really is noticeable. The Sergal plans are ok but the Revell plans are way better in my opinion. Is there any way I could get a copy of your rigging plans for this model? Anyway you have done a masterful job with this ship and it's absolutely gorgeous. Hope you have a good way to display it in your home. Your shop looks great too. Well organized I see. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Pete

Tommy- An outstanding job! I have built this model Cutty Sark & finished a 1960 Revell Thermopyae last year. After doing some research, I found that the Thermopylae was plated with Muntz metal, most likely, so I ran 2 coats of Testors brass paint over the copper. It was hard to see a difference until the afternoon sun hit the ship! WOW! Beautiful! I'd like to know what color did you paint the deck, & with what technique(s). Again, beautiful job. Rick1011 from Greeley, Co., raised in Encampment, Wyo.

Tommy S what a beautiful job you have done on the Cutty Sark. I love this ship and have several models of it, one of which I'm working on now made of wood by Sergal. Just getting into the rigging now and really miss having the rigging directions that come with your model from Revell. They were the best I've ever seen and to work with out them after having them at one time really is noticeable. The Sergal plans are ok but the Revell plans are way better in my opinion. Is there any way I could get a copy of your rigging plans for this model? Anyway you have done a masterful job with this ship and it's absolutely gorgeous. Hope you have a good way to display it in your home. Your shop looks great too. Well organized I see. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Pete
@Norgale I couldn’t have said it better!

I’ll shot some images tomorrow

Tommy- An outstanding job! I have built this model Cutty Sark & finished a 1960 Revell Thermopyae last year. After doing some research, I found that the Thermopylae was plated with Muntz metal, most likely, so I ran 2 coats of Testors brass paint over the copper. It was hard to see a difference until the afternoon sun hit the ship! WOW! Beautiful! I'd like to know what color did you paint the deck, & with what technique(s). Again, beautiful job. Rick1011 from Greeley, Co., raised in Encampment, Wyo.

f7efcd49-ddcc-4dba-9891-5f52a2942adf-jpeg.366971

That's a lot of rigging! Is it difficult to keep the shrouds tight on a plastic model? And looking at this picture, it seems the upper block should be double sheaved. Or did the instructions say to do it this way? Of course, when looking at the whole ship, one would never notice such things. Good job, overall. Way better than my first model on this forum. And yet the advice and comments were always so encouraing.

Back