Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark

I have acquired this kit from my mother when she passed on 2016. It had belonged to my late uncle and she had it tucked away for who knows what reason. It was marketed as a museum edition which included a brass pedestal, and "realisitic" sails which are plastic but coated in some kind flocked finish on one side.

I am fairly new to this hobby. I will post my progress as I go.

I had learned of munz being the anti fouling used. I settled on using testors gold enamel. I brushed on a thinned coat. Not sure how many applications I will require, nor how long I should wait between coats.

The three piece deck has an annoying seam. I have opted to just live with it and not go to any lenghts to hide. I am afraid I will just end up making a mess of it.

This kit had dumb looking wedges taking the place of supports along the bulwark. I decided to cut them off, and will use styrene rod in place of it.

The last image is a custom nameplate that Revell offered which my uncle sent for. I will attach it the base for him.

20231022_113055.jpg

20231022_112942.jpg

20231022_113228.jpg

So I don't know how to add to this. Just keep replying to my own thread?
I gave the hull 1st coat with very thinned enamel. I went over it after an hour with a slightly less than a 1:1 thinner to paint ratio. It went on ok but was not going on very smoothly as my brush unloaded. I will leave it be for a few days.

The deck I am not sure how I am going to approach I tried the recommended black base coat and sanding back the deck tan to expose the raised details.

I did not like the look. I think my sanding stick was too aggressive and wore more than I intended. I sprayed with tamiya XF 78 deck tan and will have another go. I am curious what other options would be viable.

20231022_132259.jpg

Off to a great start. I'm planning USS Constitution (opened the box and done "stuff"), and have a multi-piece deck, too. I might give a try at "planking" with strips of .25mm / 0.010" styrene sheet. I bought a cool slicing board (see below if I can figure image posting). Anyway, starting well, looking forward to the build.

This is kinda sorta what I mean, I hope it's handy for a lot of projects: https://www.micromark.com/Easy-Cutt...MI9PCklYiMggMVNKJmAh3m5AGlEAQYASABEgLuOvD_BwE

Any latest developments? Painting multiple layers of different colors like: base of black, then a coat of dark tan, then a coat of light tan. Then as you lightly sand the hull, the various layers of paint will reveal until the darker (grain) will start to show through. If that makes any sense.

Back