Restoration & Upgrading of the HMS BOREAS (1774) - scale 1:48

The Boreas is a sister ship of the HMS Triton, 1773. on which I am working. The main difference between both ships are the sweep ports, which Boreas as far as I know from the drawings had. Do you will add this detail also?

Wow, to my inexperienced modellers eye it looks like a lot of enjoyable research but an immense amount of rebuilding is necessary. If anyone can do it you can Olha. I will follow and learn with much interest.

The information in the video, that all six frigates of the class have the same hull form is not correct. I have somewhere on my Computer at home a comparison of the lines, but I could not find it on my tablet.
The first three ships have a more french influenced hull form than the ships of the second batch. The hull form is much more round.
If it helps you, I can after my holiday search the comparison.You pointed out a lot of really intersting points In you descripton

I am really intested in your restoration, because I hope that it will help me a lot to build the hull of the sister HMS Triton

Last edited:
This will prove to be learning experience for you and for those following this tread. I for one will be following your upgrades and techniques used. Since I'm new to this hobby, I'm looking forward to your description of how you addressed the problems you've discovered and resolved.

The information in the video, that all six frigates of the class have the same hull form is not correct. I have somewhere on my Computer at home a comparison of the lines, but I could not find it on my tablet.
The first three ships have a more french influenced hull form than the ships of the second batch. The hull form is much more round.
If it helps you, I can after my holiday search the comparison.You pointed out a lot of really intersting points In you descripton

I am really intested in your restoration, because I hope that it will help me a lot to build the hull of the sister HMS Triton
Yes, that is absolutely true. The documents clearly state: "... built on the lines of the Mermaid" - these new-fangled terms ("sister ship" or "Mermaid class") did not exist at that time!
By the way, the next "lecture" about this will be published tomorrow on the channel of Dr. Kruma Bachvarova)))

Back