Research Help Wanted!

I am looking for a reliable source for Great Lakes Ore/ bulk Carriers plans and drawings. Internet searches are yielding a lot of the same materials and I'm not overly impressed with Ebay offerings. Any era will work and my intent is to redraw for laser cutting for my own use. Any ideas, links, plans for sale, advice, etc. Thanks, Mike

I am looking for a reliable source for Great Lakes Ore/ bulk Carriers plans and drawings. Internet searches are yielding a lot of the same materials and I'm not overly impressed with Ebay offerings. Any era will work and my intent is to redraw for laser cutting for my own use. Any ideas, links, plans for sale, advice, etc. Thanks, Mike
Hallo @mikeceleskey
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back in 1980+, I spent a little over 2 weeks doing repairs & calibration of controls in the engine room of the Motor Vessel Roger Blow, a Great Lakes Ore Carrier that was moored in Milwaukee, WI for several weeks. The engine was a 12 cylinder diesel engine. The Pistons that the machinists removed & machined looked like 5-gallon pails. My coworker & I did repair & calibration of various controllers and sensors in the control room to help prepare the ship for the upcoming season. The ore carriers require up to 3 miles of open water space to come to a stop from normal cruising speed so they kept their radar screen set a a 3 mile radius so they , and a an approaching ship had enough distance to stop without colliding. The walls of the ore carries have numerous vertical cylinders in the hull on both sides. These cylinders are filled with water when in port to keep the ship from rising too high when the cargo holds are empty. As the holds are filled with ore, the cylinders are drained to keep the ship from setting too close to bottom. As the holds fill with ore, the water in the cylinders is drained to prevent the ship from sinking too much.
The diesel engine was run at a constant rpm for optimum performance; ships speed, and forward/reverse direction, was warried by adjusting the pitch of the propeller blades.
I realize that non of this info builds a model, but I pray that the info may help understand the modes of operation.
Happy modelling,
Steven

Back