Resawing

Hello everyone I just bought this piece of cherry it is for a navy board model, it is 2 1/4" thick x 12 inch wide x 4 foot long , it will be used for the frames (hull) was looking to get some options on how I should go about resawing this, frame thickness is 9/32 or just over a 1/4 , thank you

20220121_121116.jpg

Hello everyone I just bought this piece of cherry it is for a navy board model, it is 2 1/4" thick x 12 inch wide x 4 foot long , it will be used for the frames (hull) was looking to get some options on how I should go about resawing this, frame thickness is 9/32 or just over a 1/4 , thank y

Last edited:
Hello everyone I just bought this piece of cherry it is for a navy board model, it is 2 1/4" thick x 12 inch wide x 4 foot long , it will be used for the frames (hull) was looking to get some options on how I should go about resawing this, frame thickness is 9/32 or just over a 1/4 , thank you
I need to know, what equipment do you have access to? Or are you asking what sizes you should choose to resaw? I will be doing the same thing this summer, for the same purpose, resawing wide cherry to build a model ship but I have all the necessary equipment.

I need to know, what equipment do you have access to? Or are you asking what sizes you should choose to resaw? I will be doing the same thing this summer, for the same purpose, resawing wide cherry to build a model ship but I have all the necessary equipment.
Hello Greg I have a 14inch delta band saw & full size table saw , it's just that this is my first navy board model & I don't want to screw this up, I can get the radius of the futtocks (frames) out of the 2 1/4 thickness, so I'm thinking I should ripp the pieces at 1/4 strong & send through sander, thank you for your time

Hello Greg I have a 14inch delta band saw & full size table saw , it's just that this is my first navy board model & I don't want to screw this up, I can get the radius of the futtocks (frames) out of the 2 1/4 thickness, so I'm thinking I should ripp the pieces at 1/4 strong & send through sander, thank you for your time
I think your plan will work well. Just be aware of the grain but it does sound like you will be working with the grain and you have an allowance for sanding.

I think your plan will work well. Just be aware of the grain but it does sound like you will be working with the grain and you have an allowance for sanding.
Thank you for your time I appreciate it

Hello Kurt
I have enjoyed reading some of your submissions so I'm glad you joined this conversation. Perhaps you could expand on your statement of "Step ONE".
The PLAN

Step One: obtain wood.

Step Two: build ship model

Step Three: profit :D

Beautiful plank of cherry you have there. I wish I had some professional advice as to the best way to saw it, bit that will have to come from Dave at The Lumberyard. He does that for a living. I just use what tools I have and make due.

The PLAN

Step One: obtain wood.

Step Two: build ship model

Step Three: profit :D

Beautiful plank of cherry you have there...
Thanks for your reply.
He did only ask about his idea for resawing, so that is what I shared my thoughts on.

Since you are using words in all capital letters that indicates you are shouting at all of us. I will no longer reply to you.
Enjoy your evening
Greg

Thanks for your reply.
He did only ask about his idea for resawing, so that is what I shared my thoughts on.

Since you are using words in all capital letters that indicates you are shouting at all of us. I will no longer reply to you.
Enjoy your evening
Greg
It was not meant to be shouting. It was a simple joke.

Greg, I think you reacted a bit quickly, I think you will find that we all are all a pretty reasonable bunch, stick around and get to know a few of us. BTW - just for info, if you run into a post from donfarr it will be in all caps also, not because he’s angry but because he is 83 and has a hard time reading lower case letters. But he loves ship modeling and being part of a group of folks that love it too. Ask me how I found that out! ;)
If I were re-sawing that board my first cut would be to cut it in half so you are working with 24” slabs instead of 48” and proceed as Bird outlined.

Greg, I think you reacted a bit quickly, I think you will find that we all are all a pretty reasonable bunch, stick around and get to know a few of us. BTW - just for info, if you run into a post from donfarr it will be in all caps also, not because he’s angry but because he is 83 and has a hard time reading lower case letters. But he loves ship modeling and being part of a group of folks that love it too. Ask me how I found that out! ;)
If I were re-sawing that board my first cut would be to cut it in half so you are working with 24” slabs instead of 48” and proceed as Bird outlined.
Good Morning Lou, Thanks for your re-sawing thoughts. I would probably do the same as you for ease of handling, since it does not appear Bird needs 48" lengths.

I appreciate your opinion on my actions but I must respectfully disagree. I welcomed the other guy and asked for an explanation as I did not understand the relevancy of his 2 word posting. He did not contribute any answer to Bird"s question nor did he add any relevant information. I realized that I could not have a conversation with him and stated that I would not reply. That does not mean I will not reply or have conversations with the other members here. I have lots to learn and also I hope to contribute.

i work at the lumberyard for model shipwrights and resaw all day long

a table saw will take out twice the wood than a bandsaw. so i would use the bandsaw before i would use the table saw.

what i would do with the plank is first cut it in half the half again and get 4 pieces 6 x 24 x 2 1/4 i do this because of the size and weight of the full plank and to cut out any slight cupping or warp of the plank.

if the 2 1/4 is good then just start resawing off sheets 2 1/4 x 24 x 1/32 over the finished thickness.

for the blade i use a 3 tooth per inch 3/4 wide blade you can use a narrower blade but the cut may wobble a bit.

View attachment 284802
As mentioned by others, consider milling it down a bit before resawing. I'd rip it lengthwise in half. Question: does your bandsaw have the riser block installed? Next - the blade. Use carbide tipped bandsaw blade for resawing if you can. It'll be easier to resaw with. This saw has the riser block installed and a resaw blade installed also.

Attachments

• 20211231_081028 (1).jpg
    20211231_081028 (1).jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 22
As mentioned by others, consider milling it down a bit before resawing. I'd rip it lengthwise in half. Question: does your bandsaw have the riser block installed? Next - the blade. Use carbide tipped bandsaw blade for resawing if you can. It'll be easier to resaw with. This saw has the riser block installed and a resaw blade installed also.

we have the same bandsaw mine has been in use for 30 years. i have a set of carter roller guides on my saw and upgraded the power to a 2 HP no riser block on mine.
i agree carbide tipped blades really cut nice but expensive. This is what i use 3 TPI 3/4 wide

bsb.JPG

Last edited:
a blade makes a big difference when re-sawing the cut should have very little resistance you should be able to feed the wood with ease like a warm knife through butter.

Back