Remove Paint

Does anyone have a good method of removing multi coat lacquer bases paint (I believe it's lacquer - it's not acrylic) from a hull? I believe sanding is going to be a long process. The purpose is to remove the paint and re-plank the hull and finish natural.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all the advice. I am taking off the rail and other pieces and just going to sand. I’ll rebuild all the I’ve torn out with new. I’m trying to get rid of paint and maybe re-deck it too.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to strip off the second layer (painted) planking from the hull. I also stripped all the decking off and sptrip a painted layer of pllaning on the gunwale. Know some sanding and cleanup and a new start on an old project.

Thanks!

One thought…if you are applying new planking do you need to take off the paint? Just plank over everything and leave the paint as is?? Just do a light scuff sanding to allow glue a good surface to adhere and cover the painted surfaces with new…

It’s painted above the waterline. Nevertheless I’ve sanded the paint off already. I’ve ordered new planking and decking as well as other lumber.

So awaiting the lumber. In meantime I’ll be working on other pieces: masts, boom, gaffs, chainplate/deadeyes, etc..,

Back