Reinforcing bands on late 18th century English cannons

This is for anyone that has seen one of these cannons. How big were the reinforcing rings? How wide and how much proud of the barrel? Just ball park numbers are good enough. I'm just trying to figure out if I've made mine a tad largeDSC04535.JPG

This is for anyone that has seen one of these cannons. How big were the reinforcing rings? How wide and how much proud of the barrel? Just ball park numbers are good enough. I'm just trying to figure out if I've made mine a tad largeView attachment 303130
Hello, Don.

This document should guide you, and give an idea about proportions, and sizes in relation to scale.

tKGWgUw.jpg

1649988229432.jpeg

1649988259415.jpeg

Thanks Jimsky. That's the drawing I've been working from. I just wasn't sure what the bands actually looked like but they're done now, I'll live with them.
I'm looking at the rigging on the second picture you posted, can you tell me more about it. It doesn't look very convenient for shooting.

Hello, Don. This type of rigging is common to guns on a long sea voyage (not ready for action). Usually, in a ruff sea or just en route to the destination.

here is another example
1650071697918.png

Like maybe sailing around the world to get from England to the west coast of North America for a diplomatic/survey trip? That would sure save me a lot of rigging tackles.:) So it's possible they could have had the guns on the Discovery1789 rigged like this for the whole trip. Did they ever turn the guns sideways and push them up against the bulwarks? Something in the back of my head says I've seen this. What did they use for signaling? Swivel guns? Discovery had ten of them.

Bet you never thought that little post would spawn five questions:)

Like maybe sailing around the world to get from England to the west coast of North America for a diplomatic/survey trip? That would sure save me a lot of rigging tackles.:) So it's possible they could have had the guns on the Discovery1789 rigged like this for the whole trip. Did they ever turn the guns sideways and push them up against the bulwarks? Something in the back of my head says I've seen this. What did they use for signaling? Swivel guns? Discovery had ten of them.

Bet you never thought that little post would spawn five questions:)
I saw this somewhere as well and would be interested if anyone knows more about it. I can't find the reference on my computer ATM.

Usually the guns were fixed in such a way like Jim showed, and this during the complete journey - there was every time the possibility of fast changing weather conditions or a big wave, so therefore not enough time to secure the guns.
Only when there was gun drill and exercise to get "ready for action" or off course "action" the tackling was changed.

taken from Boudriot 74-gun ship Vol IV page 122
162859726_Continentalcannonstowed.jpg.683cef7c9cee3f32be26da1496a57393.jpg

Here a beautiful model of a battle station

BattleStation_2.JPG

BattleStation_3.JPG

BattleStation_4.JPG

BattleStation_1.JPG

I guess there were different ways with the ropes and tackles possible and used

also different levels of securing from light to strong "temporary secured", "secured with double lashings" and "gun housed against the clamp" which is shown in the sketch and the model

Parallel to the bulwarks the guns were only turned, if there was not enough space - you have to imagine that the bigger guns had up to 1,5 tons weight

Jean Boudriot is writing:
As a final point I should mention in passing securing the guns alongside, which consists of making them fast fore- and aft against the ship´s side, breech resting on the sole of the carriage; this somewhat unusual arrangement may be employed on occasion in order to provise more room on the gun decks, such as for example when the ship is fitted out as a troop ship.

Last edited:
I saw this somewhere as well and would be interested if anyone knows more about it. I can't find the reference on my computer ATM.
Here you go but I still haven't found out where I sourced it...

I intend to use method D for my guns on the gun deck because all the guns had been taken out of Medea while she was sent as a cartel under a white flag to negotiate peace with the French Admiral Suffren, then on return to Madras the guns were loaded again and the ship left with dispatches for the Admiralty. As the war had ended I can see no reason to go to the trouble of mounting the guns in their normal position as space for soldiers, their officers and horses was limited.

The guns on the quarterdeck and foredeck will be mounted in their normal positions.

238466-d2194ad7cbb9d470dfc0e79010fddfaf.jpg

. As the war had ended I can see no reason to go to the trouble of mounting the guns in their normal position as space for soldiers, their officers and horses was limited.

War had ended, but there was every time the possibility of a pirat....... ;)

This is very interesting. The Discovery1789 carried four, maybe five boats so room was tight. Possibly the six guns in the waist could be sideways but the four under the forecastle and quarterdeck could be in a more ready position(for pirates). Thanks for the pictures.

Back