Reattaching decorations

I received a model of the Vassa from my brother who simply did not have room for displaying it. As I was cleaning the model (it had about an inch of dust on every surface) several of the decorative pieces fell off. I would like to clean the surface and reattach them but I want to remove the glue from the wood surface. I have attached a picture to show the outlines that are on the bow. Do I have the option of chipping away at the glue or should I simply be sanding it and any recommendations on how best to protect the surrounding area.

Jim

92B225BC-4B17-4ADE-93B7-D94238133876.jpeg

197F63FB-0C89-4E98-A122-D8A220D88670.jpeg

Do not sand it, or you will have to refinish the areas around the glue spots, and the refinishing may not match the original finish. Remove the old glue with a chisel shaped razor knife blade which new so it will be sharp. I like to use a small tack hammer instead of pushing the blade, since it provides better control and prevents slips that could gouge the wood. Angle the blade carefully so you only cut away the glue and not shave off any wood, then reattach your decorations.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to leave it alone! Do not try to remove the old glue. You will not fail to mar the finish which will lead to a refinishing disaster. The decorative piece should set nicely onto the previous glue base. Use CA gel sparingly to reattach the decorative pieces. If possible, try to match the piece to the glue base where it came from. Once reattached you should not see or notice the old glue base.

My suggestion is to leave it alone! Do not try to remove the old glue. You will not fail to mar the finish which will lead to a refinishing disaster. The decorative piece should set nicely onto the previous glue base. Use CA gel sparingly to reattach the decorative pieces. If possible, try to match the piece to the glue base where it came from. Once reattached you should not see or notice the old glue base.
That would be ideal as long as you can get it to adhere to the old glue.

Back