Rattlesnake

I am having trouble fitting the transom on the rattlesnake. Does anyone have pictures of fitting the transom?

I have yet to start building my Rattlesnake, the Mamoli kit, but I'll share what I'be heard in my research with you. I recall that the decorated metal arch in the Model Shipways kit fits the transom poorly, in that it's outline does not match up well with the shape and dimensions of the transom and nearby elements. Some have attempted to change the curvature of the metal piece to make a better fit, sometimes without success, resulting in breakage.

Examples of the Model Shipways kit build:
1714370901801.png

1714371154969.png

Fomr the build log of Robert Hunt, on bashing the Mamoli Rattlesnake:
1714371693288.png
Robert Hunt hand carved his decorations:
1714371860523.png
1714371801751.png

Probably the best interpretation, from Harold Hahn's scratch build:
Hahn Rattlesnake Stern.jpg

Hahn Rattlesnake Stern 5.jpg

Hahn Rattlesnake B&W.jpg

Last edited:
What kit and can you provide some pictures of what you are having trouble with? Maybe be a little bit more descriptive?
I have a model expo kit instructions and drawings are terrible. The pictures in the newest issue oh ships of scale are just what I needed. Thanks
I have the Model Shipways kit. :) It is sitting in my stash waiting to be started.

I have started a scratch POF of the Rattlesnake using the Hahn plans and system . No practicum and making heavey weather if not floundering, so the contributions to this and similar threads are welcome.

Maybe you do not know, but there is a contemporary drawing also existing

Rattles.jpg

Rattle2.jpg

Cormorant (captured 1781)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, stern board outline with decoration detail, sheer lines with inboard detail and figurehead, and longitudinal half-breadth for Cormorant (captured 1781), a captured American privateer, as fitted at Plymouth dockyard as a 12-gun Ship Sloop.

Signed by John Henslow [Master Shipwright, Plymouth Dockyard, 1775-1784]

Reverse: Quarterdeck, forecastle, upper deck and fore & aft plaforms with table of Mast and Yard dimenions for Cormorant (captured 1781).

I have the Mamoli kit, and the Practicum from Laucks uses that kit as the basis. If you are new to building, Lauck's Street Shipyard practicums are excellent for teaching you the basics as you build, so you aren't completely stuck at certain stages, such as hull planking, struggling to reserach how to do it. I didn't use Laucks, but learned planking and rigging using my own research. Building a model that has a Practicum available from Laucks would have save me a lot of time, but my choice of first ship was an unusual and scarce model choice.

Mamoli upgraded their kit with laser etched wood for the stern decorations, which is a nice touch, and is not as thick and gaudy as the metal cast carvings used on the Model Shipways kit. It could still be improved upon by use of handcarved decoration. Both Mamoli and Model Shipways are decent kits, but I believe the wood is superior in the Mamoli kit. Either one can be used as a basis for a bashed model of Rattlesnake.

More... are these attributes to the Rattlesnake or some other vessel? I can't read the name in the script.
View attachment 446161

View attachment 446162

View attachment 446163

View attachment 446164
These drawings are the HMS Rattler from 1783, 16-gun Sloops with quarterdeck and forecastle

Rattler (1783)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with inboard detail, and longitudinal half-breadth for Rattler (1783), a 16-gun Sloop, possibly as built. The plan shows the influence of French design on Edward Hunt, the designer, such as the exaggerated tumblehome, the stern gallery layout and the curve of the upper part of the stem post.

Reverse inscribed: 'Rattler Sloop (16 Guns) similar to French - with Plans as Built'.

This is the stern drawing
Rattler.jpg

These drawings are the HMS Rattler from 1783, 16-gun Sloops with quarterdeck and forecastle

Rattler (1783)​

Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with inboard detail, and longitudinal half-breadth for Rattler (1783), a 16-gun Sloop, possibly as built. The plan shows the influence of French design on Edward Hunt, the designer, such as the exaggerated tumblehome, the stern gallery layout and the curve of the upper part of the stem post.

Reverse inscribed: 'Rattler Sloop (16 Guns) similar to French - with Plans as Built'.

This is the stern drawing
View attachment 446182
Ahhh. Wrong ship!!! :rolleyes:

I tried my best with the transom on the rattlesnake. It looks OK it’s not the best, but it was the best that I could do given the materials that I had at hand. I can’t say which model is better but I would be inclined to think model ship was Has a better track record for quality That being said I’m working on the castle railing and I was wondering if anybody else is in that stage of the model I could certainly use help in the construction for assembly of the vertical rails

Back