Ragusian Carrack XVI c (MarisStella) - Scale 1:59 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ohla, how much I like the ship, I love the "assistant" Imbir. We had 2 Main Coons and recognize the playfullness and gentle character. Such humor when he's taking all your tools of the table etc. ROTF

Much succes on finishing this great model.

Regards,
Peter

Hallo Olha,
your guns and gun tackles are looking very good - very good appearance
I have only the feeling that the tackling is a way too short, means the eyebolt for pushing back for loading the gun is not placed well.
No offense - it is looking good, but technically it would not work on a real ship
in red I marked the maximum distance for the tackle to push back the gun - with green this would be appr. the location of the end of the muzzle
View attachment 252159

Due to the small size of the gunport the gun could not be loaded, so it should be pushed back so much, that the gun would be completely inside and could be loaded, so somehow minimum 50cm inside the wall, so that the canonball could be lifted into the muzzle......
some images to make my point more clear
View attachment 252160 View attachment 252161

View attachment 252162

These are the tools for loading and cleaning a gun muzzle
View attachment 252163

like I mentioned before, just a hint for the future
Along with the layout of train tackle eyebolts (defective in the majority of model plans), the point is the incorect measure of train tackle blocks. Blocks of Alert 6 pounders, for example, 1:48 scaled down, are some 2 millimeter long, both single and double sheave.

Last edited:
Along with the layout of train tackle eyebolts (defective in the majority of model plans), the point is the incorect measure of train tackle blocks. Blocks of Alert 6 pounders, for example, 1:48 scaled down, are some 2 millimeter long, both single and double sheave.
It is very difficult to argue here! No one knows what guns were on these caraks - this is the first. And secondly, the engineer of the kit did not find a better solution to use guns and carriages, which are at least a century younger than this type of ship.
Therefore, this part is 100% wrong and already the size of the blocks on this background becomes unimportant, as well as the non-scale eyebolts, because everything is wrong from the very beginning...

It finally happened! I convinced my husband to create his channel. Underwater ship archeology - only facts about real ships, their history, fate and purpose.
This channel was created specifically for those who want to build historically accurate models of ships and are looking for reliable information for their research.
Now you can ask directly Dr. KB any questions about ships and I will record a video!

Kroum Batchvarov - Underwater Ship Archaeologist
The first video with the presentation of the channel:

What would you be most interested in?
- shipwrecks
- the history of ships
- drawings and documentation
- research
For me a short history of ship and what was cause of sinking.

Full Build-Log​

3000 hours in 40 minutes
Just wonderful! WONDERFUL!

You've decided not to add the aft boomkin, and have attached the mizzen sheet block to the poop deck instead of the boomkin? I think I will be adding it to my model, as I also plan to add a bonaventure mast and sail, which requires a sheet block further aft.

Congrats, Olya! As always, a great accomplishment. You are setting the bat very high, but most important, you are keeping this bar consistent when you build models. Also, I would like to thank you for providing our members with video tutorials, I am sure, we all much appreciated them. Please keep up the great work, we look forward to the next one...

Congratulations!

HI OLHA JUST AS ALWAYS SUPERB BUILD SIMPLY FANTASTIC ALONG WITH KARUM UTUBE JUST A WONDERFUL IDEA WITH YOU GUYS DO NOT STOP PLEASE. THROUGH JESUES AS OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR VICTORY AND FREEDOM. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Mistakes in the DESIGN of The Ragusian Carrack model​

Very interesting, but not great timing. The video does explain why Olha did not include the boomkin. As I am adding the bonaventure mast, hopefully the boomkin I'll be including will now have a purpose.

But then it does kind of invalidate the design and building of the model, with so much of the design being wrong. Making the result more of a decoration than a "scale model". I had been given the impression that the design of this model was based on extensive research and information, but apparently not. If this were the first post & video to appear in this series, I doubt I or others would build this model.

On the other hand, the changes and errors I have made in my build would appear to make the model no less authentic, and I guess I should no longer worry about trying to make the model "accurate" or "authentic", agonizing over correct rigging, with the correct guns and other details. Hopefully, my "decoration" will be pleasing once it's done. :(

Back