Rabbet cutter

I was looking for something to square up the rabbet on the stem. Didn't have a narrow enough chisel then I spotted my container of saber saw blades. I grabbed this one and using the tooth on the tip as a scraper I just dragged it along against the keel. Worked slick and I have better luck with scrapers than I do with chisels.

DSC04471.JPG

I was looking for something to square up the rabbet on the stem. Didn't have a narrow enough chisel then I spotted my container of saber saw blades. I grabbed this one and using the tooth on the tip as a scraper I just dragged it along against the keel. Worked slick and I have better luck with scrapers than I do with chisels.
Whatever tool works best for you is the right one for you..
Chisels do require a sharp edge and steady hand and in my case followed by some careful touch-up filing/sanding. Rich (PT-2)

I find myself switching back & forth between chisels & scrapers, depending on the challenge in front of me.
For small chisels, I have made some very nice ones, some made from hardened nails such as those used in concrete and some from drill bits. The nice thing about drill bits is that you can start with a bit that has a diameter equal to (or slightly greater than) the widest part of the chisel tip you want. I made one using a 5/64" drill bit specifically for cutting the rabbet for 5/64" thick planks.
Attached are two articles that I found to be very helpfull.
Happy modeling.
Steven

Attachments

• Make Miniatire Chisels.docx
    418 KB · Views: 106
  • Make Your Own Carving Tools.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
Back