Questions and Worries about Keel Clamps

Do what Olga does. Fit the keel/bulkhead/frame with some solid wood then drill and fit nuts. It adds about an hours work to your initial skeleton construction. You can then securely bolt the assembly to a holding jig throughout the build and then use these points to secure the model to a base pedestal or cradle for display.

I also think that the closer you can get the clamp to the stem and/or the stern post the stronger it will be. When mine cracked I was holding it in the center of the keel with a 4" vice. Not the smartest thing to do. It sure is a nice way to work on the ship though. I think next time(if there is a next time) I would use Olha's method.

I use an Amati keel clamper screwed to my bench. I drill the keel when fitting and put long screws in to hold down. Have never had a problem with keels cracking or breaking. I even have on my bounty that has been copper hulled. The clamp will not lift the plating so long as remains in the position first fitted.

I agree with Fletch that the Triple Duty Foam Cradle from Micro Mart works very well. I also have Amati Keel Clamp. Magic Mike

Back