"Puritan" Mamoli 1:50

Wow! I have this kit in my stash and hope to get to it, if I live long enough. Yours sets a really high bar! I love everything about it. If I ever get to mine, this build log will significantly facilitate the building of it. Very instructive. Virtually a practicum. Beautiful rendering. Wonderful craftsmanship. I am particularly fond of the America's Cup yachts between1851 and 1937. "Britannia", pictured in this week's forum was a trial horse for the British contenders, also a Mamoli kit which are challenging. Yours is very inspiring. I'd love to pick your brain about it. Thanks for sharing!

I've just done with my own version. I bashed the kit using original pictures and the guy here below. Apologies for the poor quality of my pictures. I used the original measurements certificate found in the net for the rig. Accordingly to the original dark looking, boom main-top gallant masts, boom, gaff, and bowsprit are made of walnut. Gooseneck and the whole iron works has been scratch built, as well the fork-like joints of boom and gaff. Waterways and deck planking were shaped in the same fashion of the original ones. Deck superstructures and fittings have been totally redesigned. I added the compass and the two additional hatches well detectable in the pics. Ropes and and the entire blocks inventory went from DryDock Models.

20230408_211923.jpg

20230408_211912.jpg

puritan-full-hull-yht-webpuritan009-1024x790.jpg

00842.jpg

00841.jpg

20230326_002503.jpg

Last edited:
That is a really sweet little model as well. Your models and the period pics you sent are inspiring! I really like the white hull and green bottom. Now I want to pull my kit off the shelf and maybe build another diorama.o_O
Problem is I have a 3/4 finished Amati "Shamrock V" and a Mamoli "Flying Cloud"(which I plan to do "dockyard style" with stub masts above the tops ,stays and no shrouds, with the emphasis on the hull and features on deck) both on the work bench(es) currently.
Like I said " If I live long enough"...

Pete

Pete,
You can get further inspiration on america-scoop.com
What you peered green is actually german gray. It imitates the so-called lead pot, a kind of ancient effective anti-fouling for the draft. That's the actual Livery of the boat from christening to first race eve, when the boat was dry-docked and pot leaded up to the deck level. Mamoli Puritan is based on poor sources, like the majority of pre-internet kits. Even the profile view is wrong if compared to Ed Burgess' original plans. So, if you ever mess with it, prepare to bash it radically. Cheers!
Albert

Last edited:
Albert,
Thanks . I'm a little red-green shift colorblind. So the gray could easily appear green to me. I'm working on Shamrock V and some sources give her bottom color as charcoal gray. Your lead pot explanation could account for that. ( I can't verify that, but some examples of models of her have her bottom painted charcoal gray).
I have a copy of "America's Cup Yacht Designs1851-1987" by Francois Chevalier and Jaques Taglang, signed and numbered 1691, In French and English. It was offered on Amazon and I took the plunge for $1200 .But as soon as they confirmed the sale they promptly notified me that they'd ceased doing business with the seller in France and notified me that they'd cancelled the order, so I was never charged for it. So, assuming that this rare book had slipped through my grasp, I did my best to forget about it. Then about three weeks later a large package was dropped on my front porch with a loud thud. I was a large package( about 30 lbs.) wrapped in brown paper and wall papered in large French stamps. Apparently the seller had shipped the book, gotten paid by Amazon, who, in turn, thinking they'd cancelled the order, so informed me and never charged my credit card. So I got a book that sold at auction the last time one came on the market for about $4k, for free! (Jeff Bezos won't miss the $ I suppose, I still have the receipt).

The book is the bible on all America's Cup challengers and defenders, as well as related yachts, like Britannia, between1851 and 1987, with all the history and original lines and sail plans. No color or photos. For that, you are right, america scoop is a treasure trove of vintage photos. I found a lot on line of Britannia as well.
The book would be more useful if I took it apart to copy all the plans laying flat. But it's too valuable to do that as it is in very good condition. But unwieldy as hell.
The pages are very heavy gloss stock with very fragile hand binding. Fascinating reading, but almost unavailable in any library outside the Library of Congress and Rickover Hall at the USNA.
You certainly have added to my Knowledge of Puritan. Now I reeeeeeeeeealy want to build it. But I am afraid I have made my bed for the foreseeable future with Shamrock V, Flying Cloud, and a few more Amati J boats, and have to lie in it. Thanks so much for all the tips and info, not to speak of your interest. I am an inveterate kit basher.( See my "John W. Cannon", bashed from a Scientific Models "Robert E. Lee" kit, Gallery12, Or "Chasseur" from Model Shipways Pride II plans). Kits, like lottery tickets, only marginally improve your chances of success. If I can scan, or make a copy of anything from the book for your interest I will endeavor to do so.
I remain, a great admirer of your work,

Pete G.

Last edited:
Pete,
I'm flattered by you kind words. Just in case you want to procede with Mamoli Puritan, consider that the gossest mistakes concern the centreboard (21 feet actually) and the keel lenght (longer in the actual boat) and consequently the stern rake (shorter in the reality). Rig scantling is availlable on america-scoop. Mamoli's deck lay-out is awful as well: I didn't use a single single component came with the kit. The centerboard and anchor winches are totally wrong. For the first, I used the pic of Mayflower deck (1886 defender) a truly puritan lenghtened version. For the latter, I have considered the pic of that fine model plus a scheme I found in the net.
Cheers,
Alberto

20220717_123249.jpg

IMG_20220527_153809.jpg

IMG_20220527_153646.jpg

20220629_172809.jpg

20221015_195746.jpg

20221015_195819.jpg

Wow. These pics are very helpful. Are the winches from scratch? How much length added to the Keel and centerboard? I like the deck planks joggled into the waterway. The book I told you about is not very helpful with deck layout and rigging plans. Britannia's rig and layout was changed so often, that trying to nail her down to 1924 required a lot of speculation cobbled together from an assortment of photos spread over 40 years, as well as a set of plans for a big R.C. version I got from the U.K.
And please forgive my ignorance. I don't know from whence the green white and red flag!
My last conversation was with Eloi in Brazil!

Pete

Hey Pete,
For the daggerboard see https://5500.forumactif.org/t1198p25-puritan-sloop-de-1885. For the to keel lenghtening consider an inch or so. For the anchor winch I used drums and the two vertical elements (in white) came with the kit. The daggerboard's one is made from scratch (gears are stolen from one of my child's coil-powered car...).
Green-white-red are the colors of Italy. Apart from the eagle (or hawk) on white loom, it looks a lot like the Mexican one.
Cheers!
Alberto

images.jpeg

Did you add any other Bulkhead(s) to make up for the extra inch? Did you re-draw any plans to compensate for the change in profile and centerboard? etc.

Pete Oh yes. Where in Italy? My wife's been to Tuscany and loves all things Italian (as do I ,except the politics. but that's true of pretty much everywhere.)

Sadly I started the kit in 1996 and abbandoned it for some 25 years (devoted to stuff like the one below) well before any web source availability, then my version is barely standard in that respect. The pics are referred to another work. Anyway, a solid piece of soft wood directly glued to the stem post before planking would surely work properly. Once you do that and once you bash the centreboard slot, the sheer plan would be ok.

IMG_20220419_184537.jpg

20200811_134348.jpg

IMG_20220527_153536.jpg

20200811_115656.jpg

Did you add any other Bulkhead(s) to make up for the extra inch? Did you re-draw any plans to compensate for the change in profile and centerboard? etc.

Pete Oh yes. Where in Italy? My wife's been to Tuscany and loves all things Italian (as do I ,except the politics. but that's true of pretty much everywhere.)

I live in Milan. Politics is a rough thing all over the word... . Nevertheless, I must admit the italian one is one of the worst...

Here, looks like we'll have a choice between autocrats or Geriatrics...
Milan, Where the Alfa Romeos come from. For me the last of the real Alphas were built from the 1930s to the 1960s. One could argue that the prettiest cars of that period came from Italy:cool:. (Although Enzo himself gave that accolade to the XKE). But then I'm an analog guy in a digital world.
Also the best food.:p Italian!

So.. was the choice to leave the 2005 Puritan version in natural wood with the red bottom (assumes the color challenged guy) purely aesthetic ?
I looked up the "Mayflower'. Looks like an updated and very much faster version of Puritan.

Pete

Alberto, fantastic job on your boat. Not only is the sailboat beautiful but your home in Milan is as well! Great outdoor photos! Magic Mike
Here, looks like we'll have a choice between autocrats or Geriatrics...
Milan, Where the Alfa Romeos come from. For me the last of the real Alphas were built from the 1930s to the 1960s. One could argue that the prettiest cars of that period came from Italy:cool:. (Although Enzo himself gave that accolade to the XKE). But then I'm an analog guy in a digital world.
Also the best food.:p Italian!

So.. was the choice to leave the 2005 Puritan version in natural wood with the red bottom (assumes the color challenged guy) purely aesthetic ?
I looked up the "Mayflower'. Looks like an updated and very much faster version of Puritan.

Pete
Pete and Alberto, Enzo was correct the E-Type is considered to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. My photo to the left shows me leaning on the "boot" of my '71 V-12 E-Type that has been in the family since 1986. Magic Mike

Alberto, fantastic job on your boat. Not only is the sailboat beautiful but your home in Milan is as well! Great outdoor photos! Magic Mike

Pete and Alberto, Enzo was correct the E-Type is considered to be one of the most beautiful cars ever made. My photo to the left shows me leaning on the "boot" of my '71 V-12 E-Type that has been in the family since 1986. Magic Mike
Thank you, Mike. I just realized how messy was my home in those pics... ahahah. Here the same home in bit better shape. Totally agree on E-Type as one of the most baeutiful car ever. Congrats on your ownership!!!

IMG-20210811-WA0005.jpg

Back