Prospective Kits Review

Gentlemen, I have joined this illustrious group and hobby with vigor....in other words, I'm all in. I am currently working on my first model, the OcCre HMS Beagle and I am really enjoying it. Here is my build log.

I'm sure none of you guys have jumped ahead.... but I have already purchased my next kit (OcCre Montanes) and I have put together my wish list (actually a spreadsheet) of the 3 ships I would like to do over the next couple of years....USS Constitution, HMS Victory, and the Amerigo Vespucci.

I have put together a spreadsheet of the various manufacturers of these ships so that I can start to select which version or kit I would like to purchase. My thoughts are that once I identify the exact model that I want, I can then be on the lookout for sales, etc and be ready to pull the trigger.

I am reading as many reviews as I can and taking notes as I do. I would like to ask the opinion of the group members as to their favorite or their ideas of the pros/cons of any of the models I have listed. Also, am I leaving a kit out that should be under consideration? I have provided a
link to my spreadsheet for your review and I would greatly appreciate any comment of opinion on these kits. At this point, it seems overwhelming but I am hoping to make the decision clearer with your input.

Thanks so much.....I have learned a lot from you guys.....this forum is my first stop every morning.

Welcome aboard SOS, Gene438! We are glad you've joined the forum. Also, thank you for starting your build log of HMS Beagle. Good luck with her assembly!

Which ship you get next should depend a lot on what your skill level and experience you have learned.

Many kits end up started and never finished as the builder jump to deep into the pile of fine kits to build.

Another thing to consider is when getting some of this nice fine large ships is where will you be displaying or storing them when complete.

Which ship you get next should depend a lot on what your skill level and experience you have learned.

Many kits end up started and never finished as the builder jump to deep into the pile of fine kits to build.

Another thing to consider is when getting some of this nice fine large ships is where will you be displaying or storing them when complete.
Good points all around. I definitely am trying to stick to double plank models, ones with plenty of build logs and videos, etc. I am learning exponentially or at least I feel I am.....

Just a thought........ strongly recommend that you look at this website as well as Model Ship World site and check out the model build logs for any model you may be interested in. I have TONS of material as I down loaded the logs to show be what to do and how to do it. This is critical as the directions in the kits are less than helpful (especially for novices like me). MOST importantly they show you what it is supposed to look like and the folks who make these logs also alert you to the problems they ran into and how they fixed the problem. JJ

Last edited:
Two questions come to mind considering your spreadsheet. How old are you and how long do you expect to live?
I'm 77, have a few (too many) kits in my stash even after cycling a few along to other members of the Wahington Ship Model Society.
My eyes (as they say) are still "too big for my stomach".
I just keep plugging away at one (or two,..or three... :rolleyes: ) projects at a time.
One day I expect they'll find me in the basement croaked over one of my workbenches. Then I and my collection of models (&c.) can be disposed of as my heirs see fit.

Anyway, the "Beagle" is wonderful and, I hope, a source of pride to you and your family, to whom I wish all the happiest, healthiest and best in this season and the coming year!

Pete

Mantua also make a Constitution (779) and a Victory (776) both in1:98 which was my choice (as yet unbuilt) purely from a size point of view.
There is also a 1:200 Victory (720).

One important advise:
Do not buy any kit, which you would like to build in 2 or 3 years, or even later.
Time is changing, and also the market (possible models) and even your taste and interest.
It can easily happen, that you buy now a model kit, third in your planned timeschedule, but .....
Although you buy maybe cheap, it is still too expensive to have a kit unbuild for the next 10 years laying around.
Just my two cents.

Ask our members, how many unbuild kits they have, and they are more or less sure, that they will not build them......
I by myself have minimum 3 kits, which I will never build

One important advise:
Do not buy any kit, which you would like to build in 2 or 3 years, or even later.
Time is changing, and also the market (possible models) and even your taste and interest.
It can easily happen, that you buy now a model kit, third in your planned timeschedule, but .....
Although you buy maybe cheap, it is still too expensive to have a kit unbuild for the next 10 years laying around.
Just my two cents.

Ask our members, how many unbuild kits they have, and they are more or less sure, that they will not build them......
Point well taken. I don't have an enormous stash, but I, too, have made all the expensive mistakes you enumerate above.:oops: It's hard not to act on eagerness and impulse. Wise council, Uwe. Thumbs-Up
Happy and merry!:D

One important advise:
Just my two cents.

Wait. It can get even funnier when you have situation like this
Jack sparow key.jpg

You buy plans of ships that you know you won't buildROTFROTF

Merry Christmas everyone

Two questions come to mind considering your spreadsheet. How old are you and how long do you expect to live?
I'm 77, have a few (too many) kits in my stash even after cycling a few along to other members of the Wahington Ship Model Society.
My eyes (as they say) are still "too big for my stomach".
I just keep plugging away at one (or two,..or three... :rolleyes: ) projects at a time.
One day I expect they'll find me in the basement croaked over one of my workbenches. Then I and my collection of models (&c.) can be disposed of as my heirs see fit.

Anyway, the "Beagle" is wonderful and, I hope, a source of pride to you and your family, to whom I wish all the happiest, healthiest and best in this season and the coming year!

Pete
LOL Pete, I am a young 59 and very optimistic ..... I have my first grandchild in the oven and retirement maybe 5 or 6 years down the road. Hopefully, I can knock out the list.

One important advise:
Just my two cents.

Solid advice.....but I also worry about the opposite.....are there any kits that have been discontinued that are considered "the best of all time"? I want to keep abreast of the market as far as the ships on my bucket list.

Back