Practice hull

Is there a way to practice hull planking without buying a kit? Ik want to practice more on hull construction because i find it hard to get both sides the same and clean. Espescialy the bow. I bought some books about hull construction and want to see if i can get it done.

probably the best bet is to draw something up or find a drawing and DIY the project. You could see if anyone has a laser cutter for the Frame components and buy the planking and plywood sheets on ebay I have a laser engraver that will cut wood but I don't do much wood stuff so I don't know what the Max thickness is that my unit will cut cleanly. I would need files ready for cutting as I don't have time to draw them up in CAD from a drawing.

Buy the plans for some ship you want to build. You can find in Internet many companies who are offering plans for model ships. Usually the plans include nice drawings for all the bulkheads you need to build the model. Normally only half of each bulkhead are shown. Make a template of stiff cardboard of each halfbulkhead.

Then buy a piece of suitable plywood (4-6 mm thick, preferably made of balsa or other softer wood which is easier to saw and sand), draw the whole bulkheads on the plywood using those half bulkhead templates. In this way you get both sides similar. Then cut them away using whatever saw you have (bandsaw, scroll saw, jeweler's saw, etc). Do the same with the keel. Glue the keel & bulkheads together attached to a sturdy baseplate made of some thick fibreboard or plywood. When everything is nice, straight and sturdy, you have to fair the "skeleton". That means sanding all the edges of the bulkheads at angles so that the planks will bend nicely on them. After this is done you can start planking.

Planks you can also buy from a hobby shop, have them done by a nearby carpenter, or make yourself if you have some sort of nice and accurate circular saw.

Last edited:
Ik think i can use the stuff in kept from te victory and trinidad. I have cut everything out and all the bullwark forms are intact. Tnx all

Back