Port Jackson Schooner-POF & POB kit by Miniature Arts in 1:36

After reading Uwek’s very comprehensive review of 03/24/2023 regarding the Miniature Arts Port Jackson Schooner 1:36 I just HAD to have this kit and placed my order shortly thereafter.
My kit arrived on 04/03/2023.
While taking inventory of the kit contents I found one sheet of the laser cut parts was not completely cut and I requested a replacement sheet as this was part of the initial construction phase, I put things aside while waiting for the replacement sheet.
I did send a picture of the sheet in question in order to identify the proper sheet.
The replacement sheet arrived shortly after my request and I give them a 10 for their customer service.
One of the things that attracted me to this kit was the both POB & POF construction integrated into the design of the kit.

Shortly after receiving the replacement sheet, I stepped away from ship building and took up cycling. It does come into question why a person of my age (81) would begin cycling in the middle of Florida’s summer with temperatures in the mid to high nineties with the high humidity seen here in Florida. By cycling I mean pedal power as I have long since sold my motorcycles. Again, sanity comes into question.

So, you ask where do I stand to date?

This is a picture of the sheet which was missing some of the components
Missing parts.jpg

One of the (6) plan sheets
01_Plan sheets.jpg

(53) page instruction manual-English version
02_Instruction Manual_English.jpg

Typical instruction page
03_Typical Instruction page.jpg

The assembled platform/cradle. I had to split the top of the cradle for construction of the bow and stern POB sections
Probably due to not following the instruction sequence correctly although I'm not sure I could remove the hull from the cradle when construction is finished without splitting the top piece.

04_Assembled Platform w_split top.jpg

Stern bulkhead assembly
05_Stern Bulkhead Assy..jpg

Bow section bulkhead assembly.
06_Bow Bulkhead Assy..jpg

Top view of bow section
07_Bow Top View.jpg

Stern section top view.
08_Stern Top View.jpg

POB sections in cradle.
09_POB Sections in Cradle.jpg

That's pretty much where I stand in the construction at the moment. The next step is to assemble the frames for the mid POF section. There are (24) frames to be assembled from which are to be laminated into (8) quad and (16) dual frame members. I don't even want to count all the individual pieces required for he frames.:eek:

I know for you "Old salts" this is but a minor frame building project however, just keeping all the individual frame pieces separated, aligned and glued will be a major undertaking for me. :oops:

It may be six months before I am ready to post again. :)

Last edited:
After reading Uwek’s very comprehensive review of 03/24/2023 regarding the Miniature Arts Port Jackson Schooner 1:36 I just HAD to have this kit and placed my order shortly thereafter.
My kit arrived on 04/03/2023.
While taking inventory of the kit contents I found one sheet of the laser cut parts was not completely cut and I requested a replacement sheet as this was part of the initial construction phase, I put things aside while waiting for the replacement sheet.
I did send a picture of the sheet in question in order to identify the proper sheet.
The replacement sheet arrived shortly after my request and I give them a 10 for their customer service.
One of the things that attracted me to this kit was the both POB & POF construction integrated into the design of the kit.

Shortly after receiving the replacement sheet, I stepped away from ship building and took up cycling. It does come into question why a person of my age (81) would begin cycling in the middle of Florida’s summer with temperatures in the mid to high nineties with the high humidity seen here in Florida. By cycling I mean pedal power as I have long since sold my motorcycles. Again, sanity comes into question.

So, you ask where do I stand to date?

This is a picture of the sheet which was missing some of the components
View attachment 385031

One of the (6) plan sheets
View attachment 385034

(53) page instruction manual-English version
View attachment 385035

Typical instruction page
View attachment 385037

The assembled platform/cradle. I had to split the top of the cradle for construction of the bow and stern POB sections
Probably due to not following the instruction sequence correctly although I'm not sure I could remove the hull from the cradle when construction is finished without splitting the top piece.

View attachment 385044

Stern bulkhead assembly
View attachment 385045

Bow section bulkhead assembly.
View attachment 385046

Top view of bow section
View attachment 385047

Stern section top view.
View attachment 385048

POB sections in cradle.
View attachment 385049

That's pretty much where I stand in the construction at the moment. The next step is to assemble the frames for the mid POF section. There are (24) frames to be assembled from which are to be laminated into (8) quad and (16) dual frame members. I don't even want to count all the individual pieces required for he frames.:eek:

I know for you "Old salts" this is but a minor frame building project however, just keeping all the individual frame pieces separated, aligned and glued will be a major undertaking for me. :oops:

It may be six months before I am ready to post again. :)
Good morning Ron. Good to see you embark on another ship. My chair is in the front row. Cheers Grant

I will follow your log with big interest - and many thanks for the informative photos - this will help

Thats a nice looking kit.
Here is the link to the mentioned kit review I made some time ago

Well, I started on the frames today. I may have to reassess my comment about it may be six months before I post again. What I was referring to was the time it will take me to assemble the frames. I started on the first frame today which happens to be four frames laminated together. Ugh. I did accomplish gluing all the individual frame pieces together and tomorrow will laminate them into the first frame. I did learn a couple of things. One being I don't have enough long reach clamps to do more than two frames at a time and second I don't have enough small glass plates to clamp to. Well Amazon should take care of additional clamps.
Oh yes, those chocks are very small :eek:
On second thought, maybe a bike ride is in order for tomorrow.

10_Frame asembly.jpg

Last edited:
Well, not a lot of progress since my last posting. Have been working on the frames for the POF part of the hull assembly.
I have (6) assembled and (19) remaining. What I have accomplished thus far is developing calluses on my fingers from cutting of the frame parts from their respective carriers. Even though the tabs are small it requires some force to cut them free. I am using thin single edge razor blades which don't give very good purchase with my fingers. (Pear wood is tough and some of the laser cutting is not completely through the sheet)

The two carrier sheets from the assembled frames
11_Cutouts.jpg

The three remaining sheets to be cut. (Oh joy, not even halfway)
12_Pending cutouts.jpg

The (6) assembled frames resting but not glued in the cradle. (Char removal & sanding still required)
13_Progress.jpg

Dear Ron
great start, I will follow your log with great interest , thanks for the informative photos

Well, I started on the frames today. I may have to reassess my comment about it may be six months before I post again. What I was referring to was the time it will take me to assemble the frames. I started on the first frame today which happens to be four frames laminated together. Ugh. I did accomplish gluing all the individual frame pieces together and tomorrow will laminate them into the first frame. I did learn a couple of things. One being I don't have enough long reach clamps to do more than two frames at a time and second I don't have enough small glass plates to clamp to. Well Amazon should take care of additional clamps.
Oh yes, those chocks are very small :eek:
On second thought, maybe a bike ride is in order for tomorrow.

View attachment 385280
Clever Ron

Back