polyester rigging thread.

I have used threads and strings from all kinds of sources. Online, kit threads, hobby and craft stores, and sewing stores. The one thing I have yet to do is get a rope walk and make my own. But I look for a few characteristics in what thread or string I dig up. The first is twist. The thread must not “twist” or untwist when pulled taught on the model. If it does I discard it. Another characteristic I look for is drape. Is the thread stiff or does it have enough softness or pliability to drape to shape. Drape helps when bending the threads to spars, masts, and dead eyes as well as making smooth, tight knots that do not unravel. I have found decent strings and threads in craft stores and sewing stores. I use regular sewing threads for binding rigging and for rat lines. I once found a superb craft string in Hobby Lobby at the right scale for standing rigging stays in scale 1/48 to 1/60. Notice that I did not comment on type of thread...cotton, polyester, or nylon...I don’t pay much attention as long as what I am using meets the twist test, has sufficient drape, and is within scale.

Last edited:
I'm using Serafill to, and I'm very happy with it. The strings are 120/2 that means 0,12 mm very thin. Made rope up to 2 mm and used for that 96 strings. Al the ropes I had made look like this:
View attachment 207943

A cone 5000 meters of string, polyester and very strong.
3 strings give you a rope of 0,22 mm
And I went up to 3x32 (96) strings to get rope that had a diameter of 2 mm
And no FUZZ
Beautiful thread, isn't it? I have the 120 size in black and beige, for small rope, 3 threads work for seizing. Also size 60 in beige for running rigging. Have also size 40 black for heavier standing rigging, but that thread bought from M. Recht, not bad but prefer Serafil.

Beautiful thread, isn't it? I have the 120 size in black and beige, for small rope, 3 threads work for seizing. Also size 60 in beige for running rigging. Have also size 40 black for heavier standing rigging, but that thread bought from M. Recht, not bad but prefer Serafil.
I love it. Heavier tread with Serafill no problem, just keep the lengt on the ropewalk to long. More than 1,3 mm just not longer than 1,5 meter and havier even shorter.

As a finish to my initial experiment I wanted to see how bad each line kinked while stored on a square block, simulating the holders some manufacturers send their thread on.

IMG_3960.JPG
These lines were wrapped on this square block since last Saturday, the day of my first post, and were just unwrapped minutes ago. As far as I can see they are pretty well equal as far as the kinking of the line goes, cotton is on the left and the polyester is on the right. This proves both type of lines will kink and distort equally.

IMG_3961.JPG
Here I ran each line through my fingers six times to straighten them out, cotton on top and polyester on bottom. You can clearly see the polyester is much straighter and smoother. To my surprise polyester is the clear winner thus breaking the myth about polyester rope not being able to come back to form.
Clearly it is not a matter of what is used to make your rope as much as how it is stored.

I am seeking assistance with rope making. I have decided to splurge on a rope-making machine, but where to from here. I need to make 1 metre of 5mm and 3 metres of 3mm. I know that is very large, but I am rigging a naval cannon with a barrel 22 cm long. Can you point me in the right direction for an appropriate thread and some clues to get me started? I am guessing I will need to make cord and then use three lengths of that to make a thicker rope, etc. Or perhaps there is a way to use a core material and build around that. My rope maker is hand-cranked, purchased from Hobby Tools Australia. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. My current level of knowledge on the subject is zero.

Hi Digger,

I reckon the best and easiest ropewalk machine is this-

Hi Digger,

I reckon the best and easiest ropewalk machine is this-

I did check that one out but then I saw that it was for a max dia of 2.5mm. I did not understand why there would be a limit, but accepted what I read. I need to make 5mm.

To be honest Digger, I had a really expensive planetary ropewalk with all the trimmings, but the unit I linked to you above is so much better to use.
I can make multiple lengths of 2.4 metres in half an hour.

EDIT- I have made anchor ropes that were 3.5mm total diameter.

Thanks for your input Bryian. I have gone with the Ropewalk Scale Rope Making Tool. At first glance, I thought I had been sold a 'pup', but after assembly and a trial run, I have found it easy to use and it produced a pretty good result. I am now experimenting with different numbers of threads. I have started with Polyfil 75, (very cheap for 7000 metres for practice) and have ordered some Mara 40. The only problem now is that this new hobby is starting to cost much time and money.

I made my own ropewalk and have been researching thread material. Mostly cotton, polyester/cotton and linnen. Before I read this thread I was staying away from polyester because Chuck on Modelshipworld discusses steps that once the rope is made you have to cook it in the oven or a toaster oven at 175 degrees for I think 15 minutes. I wasn't going to do this.

I checked Guttermann and there are so many colors to choose from compared to cotton. So far Aurifil is one of the few suppliers that has 5 different weights of cotton. For the US builders the following website has a huge amount of thread types (www.redrockthreads.com).

If I want to use polyester my questions are:
Once the rope is made, does it unravel?
(Some builders us CA at the endsl).

To keep the knots from loosening, can you use PVA glue to keep them in position?

What are the weights one uses?

Does anyone have a chart/excel spreadsheet that shows when using 3 threads of X weight will get you Y thickness?

Seems Serafil is the choice of thread people use, any other name brands?

Are there any particular colors people use? My builds are all Dutch 17th century so I would go with a very dark brown and a tan

Thank you in advance for all the advice and suggestions.

Marcus

I have used threads and strings from all kinds of sources. Online, kit threads, hobby and craft stores, and sewing stores. The one thing I have yet to do is get a rope walk and make my own. But I look for a few characteristics in what thread or string I dig up. The first is twist. The thread must not “twist” or untwist when pulled taught on the model. If it does I discard it. Another characteristic I look for is drape. Is the thread stiff or does it have enough softness or pliability to drape to shape. Drape helps when bending the threads to spars, masts, and dead eyes as well as making smooth, tight knots that do not unravel. I have found decent strings and threads in craft stores and sewing stores. I use regular sewing threads for binding rigging and for rat lines. I once found a superb craft string in Hobby Lobby at the right scale for standing rigging stays in scale 1/48 to 1/60. Notice that I did not comment on type of thread...cotton, polyester, or nylon...I don’t pay much attention as long as what I am using meets the twist test, has sufficient drape, and is within scale.
The twist and drape factors are crucial for a clean and precise rigging job on your models. It's all about getting that authentic look, right?
And you know, the material type doesn't always matter as long as it passes the twist test and has the right flexibility. So, it's all good whether it's cotton, polyester, or nylon.
If you ever want to dive into something different, I recently stumbled upon some cool info at https://wkaiglobal.com/pages/bottle-grade-pet about PET plastic and recycling. It's all about being environmentally conscious, which is always a plus.

Last edited:
Back