POF Models

Those of you who have purchased and built Plank on Frame model kits now that they are completed or in the process of being completed what do you think and would you build another The reason I ask is I have purchased the Druid and will be my first attempt at this type of kit!

POF model kits are definitely a nice addition to existing POB kits, and very fast gained popularity among the model ship builders community. It would be my preference kit\scratch to build onward. However, while it is very attractive it could be as challenging and require certain skills. If this is the first-ever POF kit, I would suggest the @Trident Model Alert kit. The developer of this kit makes it possible to build all frames using special jigs to simplify assembly. In My opinion, it is a brilliant idea to learn and assemble frames.

Those of you who have purchased and built Plank on Frame model kits now that they are completed or in the process of being completed what do you think and would you build another The reason I ask is I have purchased the Druid and will be my first attempt at this type of kit!
Donnie built the Druid

If the Alert kit is deemed to be a good first-build POF model, then what about CAF's Le Coureur?

If the Alert kit is deemed to be a good first-build POF model, then what about CAF's Le Coureur?
It will be difficult for me to give an objective opinion, simply because I have not built this model, But...based on the build logs of our members, I wouldn't recommend this kit as the first-ever POF kit. Courier is a clinker-built ship. All of the frames have notches for the laying planks. Assembling the frame with the notches has some challenges, and fairing (beveling) will add some difficulties. But, as Brian mentioned, both kits are great kits to consider as future models.

POF model kits are definitely a nice addition to existing POB kits, and very fast gained popularity among the model ship builders community. It would be my preference kit\scratch to build onward. However, while it is very attractive it could be as challenging and require certain skills. If this is the first-ever POF kit, I would suggest the @Trident Model Alert kit. The developer of this kit makes it possible to build all frames using special jigs to simplify assembly. In My opinion, it is a brilliant idea to learn and assemble frames.
I
I am taking it for granted that the Druid comes with a frame jig? at least that is what I understand. I think without one it would be a bear to get everything square?

Yes - usually all modern POF-kits have a jig included
and also
YES - I would build a second and a third POF-model

the latest 5 or 6 models (Salamandre, Bon Homme Richard, Le Coureur, Granado section, Granado full hull) I built are all POF
- It is a different modeling and you will love it

BTW: The Le Coureur is relatively complicated and is maybe not the best to start into POF-building

Yes - usually all modern POF-kits have a jig included
and also
YES - I would build a second and a third POF-model

the latest 5 or 6 models (Salamandre, Bon Homme Richard, Le Coureur, Granado section, Granado full hull) I built are all POF
- It is a different modeling and you will love it

BTW: The Le Coureur is relatively complicated and is maybe not the best to start into POF-building
GREAT!!!

I

I am taking it for granted that the Druid comes with a frame jig? at least that is what I understand. I think without one it would be a bear to get everything square?
Not really familiar with a Druid kit, but I assume there are at least paper templates provided for each of the frames, otherwise it would be very difficult for the modeler in general.
The jigs I was referring to (provided with Alert kit) are made from MDF board (take a look the image below)

1650898670513.png

Jig in action (from @shota70 build log)

1650898836413.png

Not really familiar with a Druid kit, but I assume there are at least paper templates provided for each of the frames, otherwise it would be very difficult for the modeler in general.
The jigs I was referring to (provided with Alert kit) are made from MDF board (take a look the image below)

View attachment 305169

Jig in action (from @shota70 build log)

View attachment 305170
The Druid frames are not so complicated double frames - the frames of the Alert with single frames and connection with chocks are much more complicated to do
work-flow-14.jpg
photo taken from Donnies building log

Maybe the new introduced POF-kit of the Hayling Hoy will a good alternative to start with POF

Maybe the new introduced POF-kit of the Hayling Hoy will a good alternative to start with POF

I reviewed Donnie's Druid Build He sure did a nice job on that build post and on the DSruid Build ThumbsupI will be using that as a Guide for sure, I look forward to building the Druid but I have at least 6 to 8 months left on my La Soleil Royal build before I touch the Druid!!

I came here looking for answers to the same question Bandido asked, and you guys have answered thoroughly! I love this forum.
I also want to dive into POF (which I never knew about and was OVERJOYED when discovered - I want to build "the real thing", in model form, which POF helps you achieve somewhat).

It does look rather advanced though so particularly keeping an eye on the Hayling!
Quick question for POF in general, do the kits only involve the hull leaving you to do the masts, sails, and rigging? I see many completed models without anything above the hull.

It does look rather advanced though so particularly keeping an eye on the Hayling!
Quick question for POF in general, do the kits only involve the hull leaving you to do the masts, sails, and rigging? I see many completed models without anything above the hull.
Be careful - POF modeling is similar a drug

Related to your question:
There are several POF kits which have also the masts and yards included.

Take a look at the Le Coureur of manufacturer CAF for example, which we have inb our group build area - here you can find the kit review and also several building logs

or the Bluenose kit

but you are correct, most of the POF models have no masts etc. they shall represent the contemporary admirality models, which had also no masting shown.
To decide about a new ship form or class, it was important to see the hulls form - masts, yards etc. were standard at this time and not important to show with these models......
Another reason might be, that most of the POF-models ahve the "museum"-scale of 1:48, so finished models with masts would be often more than 1 meter long and also high, with a width of 25 to 30 cm - The models are not fitting any more in average workshops......

Just remembered also the La Salamandre, a bomb ketch, which is also available with masts and rigging......

Back