Plank benders

I HAD ONE OF THOSE WORKED GOOD FOR 3 MOS. THEN THE CHEAP PLASTIC GEARS WENT NOT WORTH THE MONEY, JUST ME. I GOT A BENDER THE KIND THAT THE LUTHERES USE AND IT WORKS NEED TO BE CAREFUL YOU DO NOT BURN YOURSELF IT GETS HOT, VERY HOT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

I HAD ONE OF THOSE WORKED GOOD FOR 3 MOS. THEN THE CHEAP PLASTIC GEARS WENT NOT WORTH THE MONEY, JUST ME. I GOT A BENDER THE KIND THAT THE LUTHERES USE AND IT WORKS NEED TO BE CAREFUL YOU DO NOT BURN YOURSELF IT GETS HOT, VERY HOT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
I have one too. They have steel gears now.

my gears are metal, fortunately

I use a combination of heated electric planking tool and cutting (plyer like tool), I have found another method but not tried it yet.

four part video, he achieves a very neat and tidy finish.

I just wandered through this long and on going thread and didn't see one of these: Mantua Model 8150 Roller-Grip Plank Bender. Since what I've seen here and elsewhere , the electric versions don't seem to have much of a lifespan, could this be a viable $20 USD (Amazon and elsewhere) alternative?Model Tolls Wheel Type Plank Bender

I found that getting a general curve does not help very much. What you need is to create a jig that mirrors the shape you want. Then clamp to this shape heat with a hand dryer , no water, so steam, and you get the exact shape you want.

I found that getting a general curve does not help very much. What you need is to create a jig that mirrors the shape you want. Then clamp to this shape heat with a hand dryer , no water, so steam, and you get the exact shape you want.
OK. I understand why this wouldn't work for you after going back and again watching the above video and actually understanding what it says.I have to assume that it's your great video, too. Thanks.
As a further note, that Mantua bender might actually work for my needs right now but possibly not in the future

I have a friend that has purchased a rib bending heating coil which he will loan me to see if its worth getting one myself. It will be interesting to see how it works. They claim that it puts more heat on the inside edge of the wood allowing the lignum to compress with little chance of the outside edge splitting. The heat does get to the outside edge But nit as hot. They also claim that you can feel the lignum release making it easier to create the bend. I still feel that i will still have to make a jig reflecting the curve when bending complex curves like at the bow of the ship.

IMG_2478.jpeg

I have a friend that has purchased a rib bending heating coil which he will loan me to see if its worth getting one myself. It will be interesting to see how it works. They claim that it puts more heat on the inside edge of the wood allowing the lignum to compress with little chance of the outside edge splitting. The heat does get to the outside edge But nit as hot. They also claim that you can feel the lignum release making it easier to create the bend. I still feel that i will still have to make a jig reflecting the curve when bending complex curves like at the bow of the ship.

View attachment 392533
Shape the plank and clamp in position on the hull, it will set with all the bends and twists.

Back