Pin pushers. The search for Goldilocks.

I seem to have spent a fortune trying to find a pin pusher that works well with pins that have a head diameter of about 1.54mm - eg those in an OcCre kit. Unfortunately, most manufactures post images accompanied by such useless information as the length. The key element - the bore of the tube - is not mentioned.
Pictured below are some failed purchases.
The elegant item on the left has a bore of about 1.4mm and so will not accommodate my stock of pins.
Next is the Amati with a bore of 1.8mm. This worked well until it broke. The tube disappeared into the handle and, although it could be pulled out again with pliers, it did that every time.
The bulbous item is the biggest disappointment: OcCre's own make pictured being used in their instruction sheets. The bore is 2mm which is too large. I calculate that a 10mm pin will lie across the bore at an angle of 7 degrees. When trying to pin through a 2mm plank into the edge of a 4mm thick bulkhead the pin frequently exits through the side of the plywood. There is also enough play to bend the last 2mm of the pin. OcCre pins; OcCre pusher - it should have been ideal -but isn't
Next is a nice looking wooden offering with an adjustable stop. Unfortunately the ad didn't specify the bore which, at 3.2 mm is way too big for my requirements. A return was not countenanced.
The blue offering (over 4mm) might be useful if I ever rebuild my garden shed.
Someone on SOS was once advocating the use of special pliers with a notch in the jaws for gripping and pushing pins but I have not managed to locate one in the UK.
So, I'm afraid, it is back to the pilot hole and a hammer. It seem that the bears have eaten Goldilocks.
pinpushers.jpg

I do model railroads and they sell similar items for driving rail spikes in, I will have to check my tools for size to see how they compare, but you might check model railroad websites and stores in UK for the elusive proper tool.

This works with small pins. If the pin/nail has a large head it doesn't grab the shaft properly. Not sure if it would work for your size requirements...

I seem to have spent a fortune trying to find a pin pusher that works well with pins that have a head diameter of about 1.54mm - eg those in an OcCre kit. Unfortunately, most manufactures post images accompanied by such useless information as the length. The key element - the bore of the tube - is not mentioned.
The elegant item on the left has a bore of about 1.4mm and so will not accommodate my stock of pins.
Next is the Amati with a bore of 1.8mm. This worked well until it broke. The tube disappeared into the handle and, although it could be pulled out again with pliers, it did that every time.
The bulbous item is the biggest disappointment: OcCre's own make pictured being used in their instruction sheets. The bore is 2mm which is too large. I calculate that a 10mm pin will lie across the bore at an angle of 7 degrees. When trying to pin through a 2mm plank into the edge of a 4mm thick bulkhead the pin frequently exits through the side of the plywood. There is also enough play to bend the last 2mm of the pin. OcCre pins; OcCre pusher - it should have been ideal -but isn't
Next is a nice looking wooden offering with an adjustable stop. Unfortunately the ad didn't specify the bore which, at 3.2 mm is way too big for my requirements. A return was not countenanced.
Someone on SOS was once advocating the use of special pliers with a notch in the jaws for gripping and pushing pins but I have not managed to locate one in the UK.
So, I'm afraid, it is back to the pilot hole and a hammer. It seem that the bears have eaten Goldilocks.
View attachment 341101
Hi SJB,
Hobby tools Australia sell something that might do the job, Xuron is the brand, here is a link to there site.
I would think there would be a supplier closer to home for you, otherwise HTA are really good, I use them a fair bit.

I haven't used either of these myself, so I cannot really comment on how good they are.

Cheers,
Stephen.

I never had good luck with pin pushers. I now drill a small hole and then start the nail in the hole by hand and then use a small hammer. This is time consuming but works for me.

Bill W.

I use the pin pushing plier. However, I also drill a slightly undersized hole for the pin. Keeps them going in straighter I think.

Me too. Never had a problem getting the pins started with a pair of pliers. I then use a small hammer to drive them the rest of the way.
This also works for me. I use a small brass-haded hammer. And I have a set of 4 nail-sets (punch) that fits nicely over the head of the pins to extend the reach of the hammer. Where possible, I also pre-drill - particularly in hardwoods.

Pin pushers offer zero accuracy and are too sloppy for my taste. I use these micromark pliers.
One of my favorite hand tools.
85282_R-1.jpg

View attachment 341101
I modified a Draper by fitting a smaller brass tube inside the original, but mostly I drill first then locate pin & tap home with a jewellers hammer.

The Xuron tool is very useful. It has notches where you want them and the steel if very hard. I have used mine for years. Still as good as the day I got it.

Back