PCB vs HSS micro drill bits

I like using PCB micro drill bits because they come with an 1/8” (3.2mm) shank. I don’t like using them because if I breath on them wrong they break. I never seem to have a problem with breaking HSS bits. My question is, is there another option for micro drill bits? Does any company make HSS bits with a 1/8” or 3mm shank? Has anyone used CNC micro end mills for drilling? Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

There are great quality drill bits, but you may have to pay a premium price. they are based on 1/8 shank size. They come as sets or individual sizes with 6 drill bits per box. HSS, they mostly used by toolmakers and jewelers.

1693605329358.png

Here is another very popular brand: Maillefer Swiss Twist Drills, which can be also found in jewelry stores. Also, FOX drill bits are made in Germany.
I also love the drill bits, the link provided by Stephan (above). I use them all the time and they are less expensive.

PCB type drills with 1/8'' shank are only good to use on a drill press. For hand drilling with small drill bits I use HSS bit as these ones:

Thanks Y.T.. I was not clear in my original post. I am using the PCB bits in the drill press. Thanks also for the link. ✌️

I find that many/most of the cheaper HSS very small drills (number drills) which are usually sold in plastic cases are never sharpened correctly when new, my guess is that 95% of them won't drill at all only the occasional one (by accident) will cut. Does anyone have any idea how these tiny drills can be sharpened correctly as the drills themselves are OK for the price, just the cutting edge U/S.

Doug Hey NZ

There are great quality drill bits, but you may have to pay a premium price. they are based on 1/8 shank size. They come as sets or individual sizes with 6 drill bits per box. HSS, they mostly used by toolmakers and jewelers.

View attachment 392483

Here is another very popular brand: Maillefer Swiss Twist Drills, which can be also found in jewelry stores. Also, FOX drill bits are made in Germany.
I also love the drill bits, the link provided by Stephan (above). I use them all the time and they are less expensive.
I have these Busch bits, which I keep for drilling brass etc and use cheaper ones for wood.

Back