Pavel Nikitin San Bartolome

Has any one had this issue with laying the deck planks. The port side are shorter than the starboard side. I am pretty sure this will be hidden and out of sight. Just wanna make sure everything will layout correctly.IMG_6443.jpeg

Wow, that is strange. The photos below are of my main deck, no odd ends for the planks. Maybe Pavel can explain your problem.

View attachment 377249

View attachment 377250

“BUT” the bulkhead will camouflage that little problem.

View attachment 377251

Jan
Hello Jan, apparently it is a known issue. Some of the plates got mixed up according to Pavel Nikitin’s thread. Somehow plates 19 and 20…. I’m not sure which one has an issue. I just forced the planks to align for the photo, when you keep them the way I have in the picture the natural curve of the planks do not match. if worse comes to worse, I can sand off the laser burned treenails and plank lines and add new ones. Problem with that solution is it will obviously thin out the plank and create a divot.
Unless I fill it on the bottom side to raise it up a little bit, and then sand. But hopefully Pavel can get me a plate as I do have other models on order he can send the new plate with them. The problem is I don’t know what side is wrong the starboard side or the port side. I’m guessing it’s the port side.
By the way, your model is looking great!!!

I am sure it’s been thought of before. But after working and shaping the deck planks I am going over the edges with a soldering iron. The burn gives some depth to the joints like caulking. You can obviously go as dark as you want. I went a little bit more than this to get it almost black. It is a very controllable way to simulate caulking.IMG_6485.jpeg

That’s an interesting idea. I would like to see a photo after you stain the decks.

Jan
It’ll be a little while before I stain the decks. I have the dyes on order from Pavel Nikitin. I think I’m also going to treenail the decks as well.

It’ll be a little while before I stain the decks. I have the dyes on order from Pavel Nikitin. I think I’m also going to treenail the decks as well.
Oh wow, treenails. That will really make the decks stand out. I’ve been eying the first full size plan and looking at the “bolts/nails?” on the outside of the hull. That looks like a tremendous amount of repetitive work. Going to have do the “head scratcher” routine on that exercise.

Jan

Oh wow, treenails. That will really make the decks stand out. I’ve been eying the first full size plan and looking at the “bolts/nails?” on the outside of the hull. That looks like a tremendous amount of repetitive work. Going to have do the “head scratcher” routine on that exercise.

Jan
So you received your plans already? I am still waiting on mine. I feel like some of the guess work can be sorted by viewing the plans,if they are like traditional plans. I know this not a traditional build but I am hoping for some answers in the plans. But this kit is addictive. I have never been so yelled at by the captain to get out of the shipyard on any other project.

So you received your plans already
Yup, got PDFs for build (plans 1-176), a list of flat location by box number and a PDF for seven full size plans. I’ve have a monster HP printer and can print the plans in 11 X 17. I can look at the plans via my laptop or print the one I‘m currently working with, so PDFs work for me.

Jan

Yup, got PDFs for build (plans 1-176), a list of flat location by box number and a PDF for seven full size plans. I’ve have a monster HP printer and can print the plans in 11 X 17. I can look at the plans via my laptop or print the one I‘m currently working with, so PDFs work for me.

Jan
Jan, I received the build plans 1-176 in pdf, but did not get the full size plans as a pdf. I do have the stand, the dye, and the Oseberg and Shallop on order.(I just love his kits)My full size plans are suppose to come in that shipment. But it’s at least a month out.
Would it be too much trouble to ask you to forward the full size plans to me if not I understand.
Chris

Jan, I received the build plans 1-176 in pdf, but did not get the full size plans as a pdf. I do have the stand, the dye, and the Oseberg and Shallop on order.(I just love his kits)My full size plans are suppose to come in that shipment. But it’s at least a month out.
Would it be too much trouble to ask you to forward the full size plans to me if not I understand.
Chris
Chris

Jan,
Just looked back at my email. I did receive the 7 full size plans as well.
Chris

I am sure it’s been thought of before. But after working and shaping the deck planks I am going over the edges with a soldering iron. The burn gives some depth to the joints like caulking. You can obviously go as dark as you want. I went a little bit more than this to get it almost black. It is a very controllable way to simulate caulking.View attachment 377954
Good morning. This is an interesting way to do caulking. I have never seen this before and I am excited to see the results. I think I would be a little fearful to attempt this but then again I am a novice at this hobby. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Grant

Good morning. This is an interesting way to do caulking. I have never seen this before and I am excited to see the results. I think I would be a little fearful to attempt this but then again I am a novice at this hobby. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Grant
There are so many ways to do caulking but with these planks being so thick it’s a good way to accomplish it. Try it on some scraps play with your heat(if you have an adjustable iron) don’t stay in one spot too long and keep the iron moving.

Back