Patrick O'Brian Books

Great novel series. I found the first book a bit difficult to read. Once you get used to the writing style it's hard to stop reading.

I managed to find a soft-cover set at a used bookstore for $50. What a steal.

Great novel series. I found the first book a bit difficult to read. Once you get used to the writing style it's hard to stop reading.

I managed to find a soft-cover set at a used bookstore for $50. What a steal.
wow. that is indeed a good price. I think i will look some more.

It is a fantastic series, somewhat based on real events. There are many companion books that help with geographic, historic, and terminology context that aren't essential for enjoying the series but just illuminate some things. He absolutely captures life at sea and really provides a window into that period on the sea. Can't recommend them strongly enough

For those who don't have time to sit and read (because you too engaged sticking bits of wood together !!) ... these are also available on Audible read by Ric Jerrom. I am currently on my 2nd global navigation of the series... The Mauritius Command (4)

I agree with the above comments. I too have read all 21 books. Just a couple of thoughts; Read the books in chronological order. Like the "Hornblower" series they follow the career of Jack Aubry. Having a background in square-rigged sailing (see my avatar) I didn't need to refer to a Nautical Dictionary every other paragraph. I swear that O'Brien lived during that time period. And he makes no provision for the modern reader. When you read the books, you become immersed in the times. I can also recommend a series of books by the author Alexander Kent. They chronicle the life of Capt. Richard Bolitho, RN (fictional character). They are much easier to read and follow than the O'Brien books.

I have the complete set, used in paperback format. I will trade to a member of this forum in exchange for a good picture of your best completed model, 8x10 or larger, suitable for framing. The kicker is you have to pick them up in person from the northside of Indianapolis as I don't want to fiddle with shipping them.

One of the best series I've ever read. As noted, need to stick with it but by the end of the series I found myself speaking in old naval English! Might also want to check prices new/ used on Abe Books.

Thanks for reminding us of these wonderful stories. A brave person (brave from a literary perspective) could also read O'Brian's biography. His path through life was hardly standard, even by artist or novelist expectations.
The movie version of HMS Surprise resides at San Diego harbor. Visiting it makes the stories come alive because the human scale of the ship is so informing.
I read all of the books in order earlier this century when I had a year's hiatus from paid work. I'd spend about an hour at a nearby coffee shop reading while slowly consuming a croissant or breakfast bun and a coffee. After I resumed working, the reading went to evenings and the coffee was made in my own kitchen. A much better use of time and resources.

I am looking at purchasing the 21 volume books by Patrick O'Brian. Anyone read them?

View attachment 366802
I’ve been reading these books constantly for the past 20 years. There’s usually one on my bedside table. They are ”comfort” reading - a beautiful escape to another, simpler world! Not surprisingly, I considered buying the set in your post, but after reading some reviews I didn’t, as I got the impression that each book is quite large and heavy - not good for reading in bed or on holiday! Purchased hardbacks inividually. Enjoy!!!

They are excellent books. You can easily read them again - allowing for the time taken, of course. The Master and Commander film with Russell Crowe is a good introduction but the books are better.

Unless you want to read them more than once, you can do as I did - borrow them from our metropolitan (Denver) library system. I borrowed them three at a time. They were sent to my local library for convenience. At least four libraries were involved. These words from a guy who would spend my leisure budget on tools!

I just started reading these books, having recently completed "Master and Commander" and currently halfway through "Post Captain". I found that the companion lexicon "A Sea of Words" by Dean King was essential to understanding the arcane words that O'Brian peppers liberally throughout his books.

I own the entire set in hardcover, plus the hardcover published by his son of the material his father had compiled for the 22nd book. Additionally, I have the hardcover Lobscouse and Spotted Dog cookbook. I'm a bit unsure why I bought that last item, but I figured if I were to have a complete set, I needed that as well.
The price for the set on Amazon isn't so bad, as I'm getting ready to sell my collection and I'm listing them for far more than that... given that it's a discontinued item, and they're in perfect condition. But fully agreed, if a person isn't looking for the collection in paper form, the next best thing is to consider eBooks (either purchased or via the local library).
I hate to admit it, but I really got hooked on the series, and was looking forward to see the saga play out for at least another few volumes. Additionally, after Master and Commander, I was hoping they'd do another movie adaptation as well. But, c'est la guerre. It wasn't meant to be.

I have read the entire set of 21 books at least three times, have owned or do own at least two complete sets of the softbound editions, as well as the entire set as an audiobook. My understanding is that the Omnibus Edition you have pictured is considered to be less than optimal as the publisher made editorial changes in the actual text of the books, which, if you are fan of the books, is a definite "no-no". Although they may have fixed these problems, I recommend you purchase the books as single volumes. Since the set has been reprinted many times, the choice of which set is up to you, but, until you have looked into the issues with the 5 volume omnibus, I wouldn't purchase that set. Initially, I purchased the books one at a time. Later, I purchased an entire set from a used book dealer.

Here is the last set I owned, which, had been complete, but, because I loaned it out, is now missing 18,19,20 (+21 which is sort of an unfinished work edited after O'Brian's passing by his son):

IMG-1460.jpg

This is my "keeper" set, purchased as a complete set, and is the edition I originally owned (I think I paid like $300 for it):

IMG-1458.jpg

Last edited:
Back